Discuss Cutting down a big tile into smaller in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Bit of a funny one. Not something I have messed with before. In the small amount of tiling I have done, cut edges have always been hidden in corners.

Looking at doing a small repair for a client after new shower installation. Please see photos.

Customer couldn't find exact match for these old tiles but picked up a larger tile (9mm thick) that's not far off. The idea is to cut it down into the smaller strips.

I have made customer fully aware that the cut pieces will not match and the edges won't be so smooth. He is aware and happy to proceed. It's just for a room that is going to be an airbnb rental. He's also going to get some kind of shampoo bottle rack thing that will partially cover it anyway.

Question is (as an amateur) what would be the best way to get a cleaner cut -

1. Cut a big enough piece off the tile using a grinder and then cut down to shape in a small score and snap.

Or

2. Make all of the cuts using a grinder ONLY.

Also, any recommendations on a good stone/file/pad for rubbing the edges down after would be great.

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Can you not just use a score and snap to do both cuts?

Looks like it will be a tricky area to patch in behind the tile also

You can get pads from ATS or Pro Tiler Tools but I bought these from ebay and they have done the job so far.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response @Tony_C.

I don't have a score and snap large enough for that tile yet, only been doing smaller metro tiles etc so far and borrowed a mates for large format but he's on holiday. Been meaning to get one of my own so maybe now is the time!

Patching shouldn't be too tricky. I can dab a board to the perfect depth.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Use the tools you have then, use the grinder and cut one large piece and grind some false grout lines in that piece to match the neighboring tiles your patching beside

O

Old Mod

The original grout looks like it’s in need of attention too, or you could well be repairing it again, certainly sooner than your client would imagine.

Reaction score
The original grout looks like it’s in need of attention too, or you could well be repairing it again, certainly sooner than your client would imagine.

What makes you say that? Little discoloration but seems otherwise sound.

Was planning to fit the replacement tiles and grout in. Would rake out any surrounding grout but only as far as necessary.

D

Dumbo

Cut the tile down with a grinder to a size your score and snap can deal with then use your score and snap to cut tiles to size and then dress the edge with diamond hand pads

Reply to Cutting down a big tile into smaller in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks