Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked porcelain floor tile in a wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

maggiemay

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. We have recently had a wet room fitted. Two months after the installation, we noticed that a tile had cracked (not in the actual showering area, but immediately adjacent to it). The tiler insists that we must have dropped something on the tile to make it crack. We haven't. That being the case, what else could have made the tile crack? We have subsequently had another tile crack (next to the first one).

The tiles are porcelain and were laid on a wooden floor. Our tiler says he is happy to replace the two tiles, but that in doing so the underfloor heating will be ruined. We paid a lot of money for our dream bathroom and would like to retain the underfloor heating and have a perfect floor!

Any advice on how to proceed would be most welcome.

W

wetdec

Porcelain tiles don't crack unless under huge stress they are not like ceramic so I would guess there is more to this.

They can be removed without the loss of your ufh but I would worry about the surounding tiles getting damage...............difficult one

M

maggiemay

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, you have me at a disadvantage - what's the difference between a porcelain and ceramic tile? And what sort of stress would a porcelain tile need to be under to crack?

Someone has suggested to us that perhaps the ply the tiler laid before the tiles may not have been thick enough and that it is the floor moving that is causing the tiles to crack - do you think this could be the case?

Also (sorry, loads of questions!) how do you think the tiler could avoid damaging the ufh?

Many thanks!

T

theyomper

Do the cracks run inline to each other? In other words follow the outline shape of the ply. Do you know what thickness of ply was used and how it was installed?
The more information the better.
With regards to uplifting and replacing the cracked tiles, this can be done with care and hopefully without compromising the UFH.
Let us have as much detail as possible and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.
Where abouts are you inthe UK?

M

maggiemay

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. No, the cracks don't run in line with each other. One tile is cracked across the corner (which as a lay person led me to think that maybe the adhesive hadn't been applied uniformly), the other has a fine crack down the middle of the tile.

Not sure what thickness the ply was - maybe three quarters of an inch,
nor how it was installed (checking with partner - will let you know asap).

We're located in Bamford in Derbyshire.

We really rated the fitter and tiler - he did a good job for us. We're just not sure whether we will be compromising ourselves if we let him replace the two cracked tiles, when in fact the problem will still exist whatever it may be, and the cracking reoccurs. He also insists that the ufh will be damaged.

Thanks - will get back to you asap with more information once partner has called back!

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Maggiemay

We could also do with knowing what adhesive and grout was used. If you could find the actual manufacturers name and product, that would be really helpful. :thumbsup:

GRR

M

maggiemay

Hi, me again!

It was three quarter inch marine ply which was screwed to the joists. Neither of us can remember the name of the adhesive used, except our tiler said it was super-dooper at around £40 a bag/tub. Hope this helps you to help us!

Many thanks once again.

M

maggiemay

PS am now searching for invoice to see if the name of the grout and adhesive are mentioned.

W

wetdec

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, you have me at a disadvantage - what's the difference between a porcelain and ceramic tile? Ceramic tiles are usually extruded from a machine and consist of compressed clay or dust. The biscuit (back of the tile) will be brown or white. Porcelain is a porcelain clay mix baked at very high temps creating an extremely hard biscuit which is generally beige in colour. The test is to wet the back ceramic sucks up moisture porcelaine is very slow. And what sort of stress would a porcelain tile need to be under to crack? If its been screwed into and not bedded correctly it may go but unlikely in your case. A high screw may cause it

Someone has suggested to us that perhaps the ply the tiler laid before the tiles may not have been thick enough and that it is the floor moving that is causing the tiles to crack - do you think this could be the case?

Doubtful if they are bedded correctly

Also (sorry, loads of questions!) how do you think the tiler could avoid damaging the ufh?

Take his time, grind from corner to corner and around tile b4 hitting it hard. Would need to know whats under there really ??

Many thanks!

Personally I think the tile has always been cracked maybe it hit a high screw on fitting when the bed was soft / not adequate or its a weak tile. A few possibles and no one to blame , I think I would spend time looking for the solution

:thumbsup:

M

maggiemay

Hi guys,

Have now unearthed the invoices for our wetroom, but unfortunately no mention is made of the type of adhesive or grout used. Do you therefore think we've come to the end of the line?

I suppose where I am is here: my partner and I are not plumbers, fitters or tilers. We therefore employed a professional to do our wetroom for us. We didn't expect, a couple of months after completion that we would have one cracked tile, shortly followed by another. As I said in my earlier message, our tiler insists that something has been dropped on the first tile. We know that we haven't dropped anything - a bit sad, but we've waited a long time for this bathroom and are treating it with kid gloves!!

Is there anyway of knowing whether our tiler is at fault either in the laying of the plywood on the original floorboards or in the amount of adhesive used that could have caused these tiles to crack? If the thickness of ply is wrong or the amount of adhesive used is wrong, what's to stop it happening again? Surely in that case, it would be best to take the floor up and start again?

Thanks once again!

C

CJ CERAMICS

sounds to me (would need to see it for definate) like there are voids under the tiles that are cracked, this is caused by none contact of tile and adhesive creating a weak point under tile. maggie do you have any surplus tiles? if it was me i would come back and remove the tiles and replace or at least investigate why they are cracking. check that the rest of the tiles are fitted correctly with no voids by tapping on the tile. the tile should sound dense if correctly layed.
chris.
p.s this is only my opinion on the facts you have given and does not mean that the tiler is at fault but needs investigating.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Is there anyway of knowing whether our tiler is at fault either in the laying of the plywood on the original floorboards or in the amount of adhesive used that could have caused these tiles to crack? If the thickness of ply is wrong or the amount of adhesive used is wrong, what's to stop it happening again? Surely in that case, it would be best to take the floor up and start again?

If the 2 cracks dont run concurrent then imo you have a weak point from any of the possibilities mentioned which would leave the rest of the floor in good order.

All we are able to do is give an opinion on the info you have provided we are none of us in a position to alot blame as we are not on the spot and able to examine the area. Looking for a solution is the best way to proceed and keeping your tiler on side as he knows his actions would be a sensible move at this point imo...................:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 9966

maggiemay

I think you should ring your tiler and ask him to come back and look at the tiles. In the meantime as CJ Ceramics says, tap the cracked tiles gently to see if they sound hollow underneath.

As for the underfloor heating, check with the manufacturer to see if lifting tiles will cause it a problem.

you need the tiler to tell you what adhesive and grout was used and upon exactly what he tiled.

Thanks
GRR

Reply to Cracked porcelain floor tile in a wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen