Discuss Cracked grout lines!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

strax

Hi Guys,

I bottled out of tiling our new extension, 55 sq m of 600x 600 polished procelain. Our "professional" tiler was in a hurry to finish on a very warm day, off to play golf.
He grouted very quickly (using "Andrews grey gorut with flxi additive). (3 hours to finish the whole job, polished and out)
Now we find hairline cracks down some grout line, some nearly the length of the tile, some very short (2-3mm long)

1. Will it harm if left.
2 What should we ask Tommy to do to rectify (if anything)?#
3 it was "cash in hand" : a lot of it.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Iain

D

DHTiling

Hello Iain and welcome....

Either the heat was to warm for grouting to be carried out or insufficent additive was used, either way it needs redoing and your tiler should be called back...:thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bottled out of tiling our new extension, 55 sq m of 600x 600 polished procelain. Our "professional" tiler was in a hurry to finish on a very warm day, off to play golf.
He grouted very quickly (using "Andrews grey gorut with flxi additive). (3 hours to finish the whole job, polished and out)
Now we find hairline cracks down some grout line, some nearly the length of the tile, some very short (2-3mm long)

1. Will it harm if left.
2 What should we ask Tommy to do to rectify (if anything)?#
3 it was "cash in hand" : a lot of it.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Iain

1. why would you even think about leaving it!?!
2. As above.. Call him back
3. That's between you and him, and doesn't (in my opinion) need to be aired here. ;)

I don't think the fact that he was in a hurry would have any real bearing, like Dave said, probably too warm. Does the room get a lot of direct sun? Or could be incorrect mix; i've never used grout with a flexi additive, so can't be sure on that.

Another possibility... What was the substrate? Are you sure there's no movement?

D

davy_G

Im with Beanz here, find out why the grout cracked before re-doing. ie make sure there is no movement or is it heat related

S

strax

Thanks Guys,

You've given me a bit more confidence to give him a call back.
After a clean up afte the weekend we find some of the cracks are qiute large, with the grout flaking away: I have to assume this is the floor moving.

Should I expect him to rake the grout out, or can he bung some more in on top??

Thanks again,

Iain

D

dhsanta65

If he is to re-grout then the grout it has to be fully raked out then re-grouted.
If it is caused by to much movement in the floor under the tiles then no matter how many time you re-grout it will not solve the problem.
Lets hope it was due to the heat as said in previous.

D

DHTiling

Movement...i presumed it was a screed floor...is this a timber floor..? i.e a floating floor.?

Reply to Cracked grout lines!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22