Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked floor tiles - please help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

natalie stanley

Hello

I was hoping somebody could help me as both my bathroom and kitchen floor tiles are cracked.

These were both laid in October last year. I'll address both floors separately as the tiles are cracking in different ways/places.

Bathroom

This floor is cement encaustic tiles and i first noticed a cracked tile around December so 6-8 weeks after it was first laid.
The first tile i noticed was closest to the wall and since then there are now 10 tiles that are cracked all over.

Kitchen Floor

This floor has porcelain tiles and late January i started hearing loud popping noises. 6 weeks later i noticed 8 cracked tiles all in a row with a crack running through the centre of all of them - this also happens to be where the joist line is.

There also felt like there was some movement in the floor, particularly to the right side although this seems to have settled a little. There is also a gap between the bottom of the skirting board and floor which is around 8mm which never used to be there when the floor was initially laid. I feel like it's sunken a little - all observations ive noted for the kitchen have stopped or at least i think it has. Theres no more cracked tiles and the floor hasn't sunken anymore.

I must also add that the builder was also responsible for not only laying the tiles but building the substructure/joists that the floor tiles go on as he had to replace the joists from before as they were rotting. He's used 18mm ply on top of joists and tiled directly onto them using flexible adhesive.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nat

T

Time's Ran Out

He's tiled directly onto the 18mm plywood and it's cracking along a join in the boards!
The encaustic should have been laid onto a decoupling membrane layer.
Not much more I can add except it's fixer error!

N

natalie stanley

Hi Timeless John - thanks for replying.

When you say cracking along a join in the boards - do you mean where the sheets of ply meet and are fixed onto the joist?

Also can you clarify what you mean by 'decoupling membrane layer' do you mean cement backer board? Should both floors have the decoupling membrane layer?

What do you advise as the solution to fix both problems?

Many thanks

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nat, have you taken this up with your builder?
I think you already know that your builder is probably at fault, unless there has been a recent earthquake in London. As you say, your builder built the floor and it is dropping. All tiles need a sound deflection free surface. Tiles also need the correct adhesive. There are many different types of 'flexible' adhesive, some in tubs and others you have to mix with either water or latex. Only your builder will know what he used. By your description of the two rooms it sounds like all tiles will have to come up and the substrate sorted. You really must act fast and inform your builder (unless he has been featured on Rouge Traders), then you will have to go down the 'sorting it out yourself' route. Saying that, I'm not sure how you stand on an insurance claim. Hopefully someone will let me know that one. Anyway Nat, good luck.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I have had a few phone calls with Natalie about her floor and suggested that she came onto TF to get more opinions on this matter,I have explained that her builder is at fault and have said that it will probably have to all be removed and redone.Natalie has been worried about this floor for some time and it sounds to me that the builder is dragging his feet finding some way out of putting this right,I have also suggested that maybe a tiler on TF that might live near her may go and have a look.

Last edited:
O

One Day

Green timbers have dried out?
Joists have dropped?
Poor quality ply nailed instead of screwed?

The main problem is that word "BUILDER".

When will people learn:
Builders = build
Tilers = tile

N

natalie stanley

Hi all

Thank you all for taking the time to comment and give feedback - appreciated.

I live in Hackney which is East London.

The builder is aware of the problem and is willing to fix, but still trying to cut corners which is how we got to this awful mess in the first place. I want to establish what the problem(s) are and get expert advice so when he does fix it, he does it properly...it's been very stressful :(

I'll upload some pictures shortly..

N

natalie stanley

Hello all

Sorry for the delayed response - have been on holiday!

Please find below the link to view 3 photos of the kitchen floor.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/nstanley1/library/?view=recent

Hopefully this should be enough to give you an indication of what the problem is.

Directly under the tiles is where the ply meet and are stuck/screwed onto a timber joint.

The bathroom tiles have cracks in various places although i haven't posted pictures of these - they were laid in the same manner.

Please let me know if you need further info/pictures and thanks in advance for taking your time to comment.

Best
Nat

Reply to Cracked floor tiles - please help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen