Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bevel Tiles after Wet/Dry Cut ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Polished

Hi all,
When I have wet or dry cut some of my tiles, I've tended to bevel off the sharp edge with a grinder usually around doorways where there is a slight difference in levels between one area and another, thought it looked better and safer on the toes

Is this good practise ?

B

brian c

why dony you set out so that you finish at the door with a full tile?save you doing this?or use a finishing strip?

P

Polished

That would have made a lot of sense Brian, i tried to get the balance right between both ends of the Kitchen ( 12 long x 8 wide) used 60 x 30 polished tile and was left with around 20cm either end, there are 2 doorways. I left the saddle board in place on one side with did the trick but on the other I used a different colour tile ( still 60x30 ) and I ripped out the saddle board thinking it would be easier to clean longer term as it leads into the bathroom with a wetroom floor and as I rent it out just wanted to be able to go in and steam clean from one end to the other but finishing Strip would have been a great idea

D

DHTiling

Hi all,
When I have wet or dry cut some of my tiles, I've tended to bevel off the sharp edge with a grinder usually around doorways where there is a slight difference in levels between one area and another, thought it looked better and safer on the toes

Is this good practise ?

On natural stone tiles..yea good idea, but on ceramics it could reveal the tiles biscuit colour and look a bit odd.......

carpet to tile trims are good to finish with or what ever type of trim to need to get a finish upto the adjacent substrate/covering...

P

Polished

lol will do Dave. added Picture showing the job I'm finishing for myself. I have to hand it to the pros though, I don't know how you do this day after day - Do you get insurance for your knees ( even with the latest Gel knee pads )?
I'd add that the reason I took this on myself apart from being stubborn and thinking I could do just as good a job as anyone who has been at it for 20 years was the amount of bad work I've seen with friends, family etc. simple things like using a straight edge to see if one tile is level with the next, cutting corners just to get in and out and on to the next job and at between 25 - 30 Euro a sqm you expect a bit more than that, the Celtic tiger has alot to answer for with cowboys springing up everywhere here and it's so hard to get a good tiler because they are so busy and backed up for weeks/months in advance. Suppose it's like all the trades, just annoying to see it and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the consumer when it comes to all in the tiling profesison. But hopefully with recession biting the consumer won't settle for second best and help restore the faith in the many good and professional tilers there are in the world.

Attachments

• 31122008.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 52
D

doug boardley

Hi Albert, I, too, use carpet,laminate or whatever to tile strips, I finish my floor tiles halfway in the door rebate so that the cover strip is concealed when thhe door is closed. Not always possible to finish with a full tile into the doorway, I've found, as rooms can be out of kilt.

B

brian c

it could be the angle of the camera but i need to ask you ...is the floor flat or is there a few tiles higher than others in parts?need to ask m8 sorry...also why didnt you take the tiles up to the legs of the units at the island?will youre kickboards cover the gap/JUST ASKING AS I SAY IT MIGHT BE A BAD PICTURE DOING YOUR OTHERWISE GOOD WORK AN INJUSTICE.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Yep, as Brian has mentioned, it is easier to tile upo to the foot of a unit, that way the kick board sits on top and nothing else is seen ;) not to criticize your work mate :)

D

DHTiling

It's not grouted and lights can be deceiving lads.....give him a break...lol...

But next time albert just cut tiles upto the foot of the leg...will save loads of time nibblin around them...and grout it first before putting pics up.....keeps this lot happy..:lol:

P

Polished

cheers guys, it's a dreadful pic with a camera phone and it's grouted now lol :) Florescent lights on polished tile. Completely take on board about tiling up to the legs, not realising that the kictboard is about 20mm and would cover it doh ! Talk about making work for myself - seems this little project has done that throughout :dizzy2:

B

brian c

ALBERT,its a good job m8 just trying to give you a few pointers for next time or if you have enough tiles(redo)so dont be hard on yourself m8 its a great effort.

In addition.have you checked to see if the tiles need sealed or not?if you havent get some lithofin impregnator and try it on a spare bit of tile before you attempt to seal the floor.If it forms a small pool of sealer straight away then the chances are it doesnt need sealing but if the tile doesnt do this imediately then the tiles will probably need sealed.

If you are unsure of anything just ask m8,we arte here to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bevel Tiles after Wet/Dry Cut ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks