Search the forum,

Discuss Any pics of cut porcelain please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

NT123

TF
Reaction score
We have just had our bathroom replaced and re-tiled and we are in "discussion" with the builder regarding the quality of the finish, here is the original post
Is this an acceptable finish? - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-this-an-acceptable-finish.87621/

I was expecting the cut joins to look similar to the non cut joins but I wonder whether I am expecting too much. Does anyone please have any photographs of porcelain tiles that they have cut to give me an idea of the quality of the cut I should expect.

Thank you

O

One Day

We have just had our bathroom replaced and re-tiled and we are in "discussion" with the builder regarding the quality of the finish, here is the original post
Is this an acceptable finish? - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-this-an-acceptable-finish.87621/

I was expecting the cut joins to look similar to the non cut joins but I wonder whether I am expecting too much. Does anyone please have any photographs of porcelain tiles that they have cut to give me an idea of the quality of the cut I should expect.

Thank you

What you should expect? Hmm, it's hard to answer.
I've done porcelain jobs where I have spent one whole day JUST edging and polishing one or two tiles. The customer has paid handsomely for perfection and it can be achieved, but it comes at a cost.

I have also turned out bathrooms in under a week (that's very fast for me!) and the edging and cuts have been "good enough".

That's the thing with perfection. To me, it simply means "good enough" or "fit for purpose". But that in itself is subjective.

I'd say that your photos show lazy cutting. Even the most brittle of glazed porcelain can be cut cleanly, although it might involve scoring the glaze, before cutting with a high quality wet saw blade, then polishing to the cut edge with diamond pads or silicone carbide pads.

I'll try and dig out some of my pics to show what can be achieved...

O

One Day

These are what I would describe as "good enough" - just cut with a decent blade in a decent grinder by a decent tiler: (glazed ceramic, very soft and chippy)
You should be able to zoom in and see the very slight chipping...
DSC_1148.JPG DSC_1150.JPG

This is a wet tray in a boutique hotel which was also described as "good enough", although to me it's totally unacceptable.

20170208_122917.jpg

NT123

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for the pics. I did zoom in and see the edges on pics 1 & 2, I would be happy with those. I like the chrome edging and am now wondering whether ours is the wrong way round as it is on the inside of the window recess rather than the front!

Reply to Any pics of cut porcelain please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen