Search the forum,

Discuss A terracotta nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiletrouble

Help please. I have an internal terracotta floor that has been badly damaged by an underfloor leak in an area which is rented as a holiday rental - the water has been absorbed by the tiles and pulled all sorts of salts up on to the surface of the tiles - the tiles are also stained with water marks - this is the second year running - it happened last year, wasn't so bad as this time, plumber thought he had repaired leak and then, towards the end of last summer, it became apparent that it was happening again. The floor has been left now for four months to dry out and it is horrible to look at.

Last year, I scraped off all the lose salts and went over the floor with a fairly harsh scourer and hydrochloric acid - the results were not fantastic but I was very short of time to get the place open for the summer season. Now the plumber thinks we have isolated the leak :)mad2:) I would like to do as good a job as I can to the floor - obviously it is never going to be good as new but do you have any suggestions as to what I should be doing that would be better than I did last year?

Thanks.

D

DHTiling

The salts would more than likely be Effloresence and the tiles are either still wet or stained as you say..

Can you post some pics and what are the tiles sealed with..?

T

tiletrouble

Don't start me on the plumber......

I shall take piccies and post tomorrow - thank you.

T

tiletrouble

As promised - here are a couple of photos of the problem.

Thanks for your help on this.

Attachments

• Floor 1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Floor 2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 34
D

DHTiling

Pics are too small to see stains...but does look like efflorescence salts on the surface.

T

tiletrouble

Hopefully this might be a little better?

Any thoughts as to what can be done?

Attachments

• Floor 2 resize.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 34

Reply to A terracotta nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I have some lovely Mexican terracotta tiles (glazed on one side only) which are meant...
Replies
Views
Hey guys I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen