Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 22mm cement board vs plywood and backer board in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tuttle

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am building a new bathroom in my own house. The room is on the first floor in a newly built extension. There is no floor yet, just joists. I plan to have a tiled floor with electric underfloor heating. We haven’t chosen tiles yet but will probably go for large format floor tiles.

The floor joists are 70mm x 165mm @ 400mm centers with a span of 2.5m. I am planning on adding noggins to stiffen the floor and provide extra support for the boards.

At the moment I have considered 3 options for boarding the floor:

1. 22mm No More Ply T&G cement boards with noggins @ 500mm centers (because the boards are 500mm wide)

2. 18mm external ply with noggins @ 300mm centers, plus 6mm HardieBacker board on top

3. 25mm external ply with noggins @ 300mm centers

On top of that I am thinking of using Schluter DITRA-HEAT as that looks like a good way of providing underfloor heating and uncoupling in one go, then tiles on top of the ditra.

I was leaning towards using the 22mm cement boards on the joists (with noggins @ 500mm centers to support the edges of the boards) and the ditra heat on top of that, but reading the forum I get the impression that most professionals are using ply. Is there a problem with 22mm cement boards or reasons why ply is better?

I then considered using 25mm external ply instead. I think ditra-heat can be installed directly on wood and I thought cement backer board might be unnecessary with the ditra mat uncoupling the tiles from the wood.

But then I wondered if 18mm ply plus 6mm cement boards might give a stiffer floor than 25mm ply alone. But if I want cement boards then maybe it might be easier to forget the ply and use 22mm cement boards instead, i.e. back where I started.

I have been around in circles and I am not sure which option to go for, or if there is a better option / something I have missed. I plan to live in this house for a long time and I only want to do this job once, so I am more interested in getting it right than the cost of the different options.

Any thoughts or advise you can give me on this would be greatly welcomed

Thanks!

Reaction score
Being inert to moisture and more stable I would go for the no more ply T&G.. with the other 2 options you would still be bonding onto plywood with either the 6mm cement board or matting. You could then lay the ditra heat mat straight over the no more ply. Or maybe a standard mat and self leveling compound? See what no more ply recommend.

Tuttle

-
Reaction score
Being inert to moisture and more stable I would go for the no more ply T&G.. with the other 2 options you would still be bonding onto plywood with either the 6mm cement board or matting. You could then lay the ditra heat mat straight over the no more ply. Or maybe a standard mat and self leveling compound? See what no more ply recommend.
That's what I'll do, thanks :)

Reply to 22mm cement board vs plywood and backer board in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks