Search the forum,

Discuss Washboy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MIKE1

I am new at tiling and am trying to keep initial costs down so can I get away with a sponge and bucket of water instead of a wash boy ?

D

Dicko1973

I know it is hard to just go out and buy all the tools straight away. But I would swear by the washboy, I know they can be pricey but you save the money on the time difference between the washboy and using a sponge and bucket, especially new tilers like you and me who haven't built up the speed yet.

Don't look at it as an expense but a money and time saving tool.

Dicko

W

White Room

For wall's yes, not for floor's my karl dahm washboy has saved me hour's and paid for itself time and time again, A good investment.

T

tiler burden

hi mike1

if your new to tiling and finding your feet, then i would assume you will be doing splash backs, small bathrooms and kitchens etc. if thats the case, then a washboy isnt a necessity at this stage so you can save you money initially until the cash flow improves . but as the guys above said, on larger areas, they are needed and they are excellent...

hope this helps mate

ed

D

DHTiling

wots the cost of a washboy..?.....how much does it cost to have a good night on the beer?

I think the washboys a cheaper night out....if you see wot i mean....

One job with a washboy and it will pay for itself in man hours saved doing it by hand sponge

T

tilermandan

a wash boy is one of the best investments you make in my opinion. although the initial payment may be a worry looked after this tool will last you for years and probably pay for itself in man hours saved quite quickly.:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

As the others have said but yes you can get away with it,,,,,after all what did we do before they came along?

G

Gazzer

Very true but i also remember cutting quarry tiles with a hammer and chisel.
Point being, he can manage without washboy but i would put it very high on his list.
in fact i remember cleaning off quarry floor with Scrim and damp sawdust 30 years ago ......guess what? The floor is still there and looks great.....ahhhhh i love reminiscing:yes:

W

White Room

Very true but i also remember cutting quarry tiles with a hammer and chisel.
Point being, he can manage without washboy but i would put it very high on his list.
in fact i remember cleaning off quarry floor with Scrim and damp sawdust 30 years ago ......guess what? The floor is still there and looks great.....ahhhhh i love reminiscing:yes:

That scrim was the stuff they we called jute a hessian for scrimming board joints, That was a long time ago:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Washboy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the tiling scene. As a camp ranger I take care of a property in Massachusetts...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Last week I had grouted a bathroom floor of 100x100 porcelain mosaics using Kerakoll...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows what the thin web-like coating on Harmony Nador tiles is made of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen