Discuss underfloor heating in kitchen. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jwatson

Thinking of installing some underfloor heating in my kitchen at the end of summer, and i was hoping for some advice on what sort of tile to use for best heat distribution and energy efficiency. thanks as always in advance.
:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

What is on the floor now, Concrete/Screed or wood ?
Is this to be sole source heating or do you have radiators etc ?
What floor covering will you be using and any height issues ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ditto the above plus what sort of underfloor heating is it and what output.

J

jwatson

The sub-floor is concrete throughout the whole ground floor. and is tiled with ceramic 300's. It is to be the primary heat source in the kitchen, so may go for a higher wattage??. we currently have a radiator but it is in the way really, we plan to take it out and replace that part of the kitchen with more units.

sorry electrical underfloor heating poss 200w?? not really sure.
last winter was quite cold in this house. asume the concrete conducts the cold right through.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd go for the 200W and also a thick layer of insulation.

If it was cold, I'd also consider keeping the rad until you've done a winter to see if you can cope with removing it just to be sure. Especially as it's your own kitchen and not a customers you'd need to go back to etc.

G

Gazzer

10mm min insulation after old tiles removed, 200w cable system .
My clients have given feedback over the last year about how efficient the UFH is and 99% say its all they need.

J

jwatson

any tile advice???
Thinking of installing some underfloor heating in my kitchen at the end of summer, and i was hoping for some advice on what sort of tile to use for best heat distribution and energy efficiency. thanks as always in advance.
:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

It is all down to personal preference, were you thinking stone or tile.
If Tile then deffo Porcelain for me.

J

jwatson

cheers. i suppose it is just pp.

so will Proberly end up doing porcelain or maybe if the budget stretches enough a sparkly quartz "something shiney" is how the mrs describes what she wants." we will see

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Natural stone or ceramic will be better with ufh than sparkly resin tiles.

U

Uheat - Keith

Underfloor heating at 200w/m2 is from our Conservatory range, but good to also use in Kitchens as you will lose some floor space to the Kitchen units.
Will be full heating (primary heat), depending upon the heating coverage of the total gross area, how well the dwelling is insulated and the heat loss figure for your gross area.
As over, 10mm insulation in the floor also.
The Heat loss figure for your area is about how each surface loses the heat: Floor surface, internal walls, external walls, doors and ceiling.
Very long winded calculation, but in general 200w/m2 is good for any Conservatory, so will be good for a Kitchen.
Warm regards, Keith.

Reply to underfloor heating in kitchen. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks