Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Toilets - Tile underneath or cut round in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

GatesheadCol

Probably a very daft question but I went to quote on a bathroom floor and the customer is insisting that the tiles gop under the toilet with the toilet sitting on top of them.

My question is - is that right.

Im a bit reluctant to sit a solid toilet on top of solid tiles as movement is inevitable when sitting on the toilet. I have fitted toilets before and always screwed them into the wood floor with a cushion of silicone underneath the pan for movement and tiles up to and round the pan.

What do other tilers do?

Can the tiolet sit on top of the tiles (with said cushion of silicone) or is this really not the best way to do it. I can see the toilet or the tiles cracking one day. My thoughts are Porcelain and tiles together do not go, one will have to give at some stage.

Any views greatly appreciated

F

Fekin

Its probably always better to lift the toilet and tile under as it will always give a better looking finish to the job, then drill the tiles and screw down the toilet as normal through the tile into the floorboards as standard.
Just make sure you are getting 100% coverage on your adhesive and it won't be a problem.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to this I used to sit the loo on a bed of silicone rather than screwing it, and often cuting the heads off the scres and silicoing those where they would sit normally, giving the screwed down look.

Although I have cut around them too, some are just not worth moving, you can end up with a plumbing job on your hands lol.

Reaction score
if that is what the customer is insisting on, tell them to arrange the plumber, though you may only be lifting the pan a few mill the pipework may still need to altered

G

GatesheadCol

Cheers guys, have already said that I can take it off and tile underneth but if the pipework then doesnt fit I cant fit it back.

Its a fixed pipe so no doubt it wont fit bacak again. Had it been one of those flexible pipes it wouldnt be a problem.

Said Im covered for taking off and putting back but not installing new pipework etc, they are ok with that so happy days I have the job.

F

faithhealer

Doing similar job myself, like the silicon / cut off screw idea dan. Save me drilling porcelain

J

jamesy07

I carry flexi pipe around with me for that very reason, cheaper to buy in bulk just add it to the job if you have to use one

D

Dave-T

i'd tile under the toilet every time. It takes so long to get perfect cuts around a toilet, its quicker and gives a much better finish to pull it out and tile under. You dont have to be a plumber to rip a bog and basin out and bung em back in.

G

GazTech

To add to this I used to sit the loo on a bed of silicone rather than screwing it, and often cuting the heads off the scres and silicoing those where they would sit normally, giving the screwed down look.

Although I have cut around them too, some are just not worth moving, you can end up with a plumbing job on your hands lol.
cutting heads off the screws....its an old navajo trick :wink_smile:

P

porridge

I would always take the pan out and tile underneath, then replace the pan, but then I am a plumber....

As for just bedding the pan on silicone... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it! The pan MUST be screwed to the floor - that is why it has screw holes in it. I've had to sort out too many pans that have moved and are leaking poo all over the floor because the silicone under them has given way. Its not a pleasant job.

If you are worried about moving the loo and the pipework not being long enough then get yourself a flexi connector - you'll probably need to take the end off the original pipework to get it to fit on, but so long as there is a handy isolation valve its not a problem. A push fit flexi hose will make your life even easier if you are not that confident with the pipework side of things. Failing that call a plumber :wink_smile:

H

Home Tiler

nice one porridge...i did wonder about the silicone trick and the screws being cut of....but would "no nails" be a stronger fix ..if you did do it that way?....or am i way of the mark....lol

steve

P

porridge

steve, sorry for the delay in replying - Screw the pan down to the tiles. otherwise you might as well show up at the job wearing a stetson and spurs. Trying to stick the pan to the tiles is a cowboy job.

Reply to Toilets - Tile underneath or cut round in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks