Search the forum,

Discuss Toilets - Tile underneath or cut round in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dave-T

i'd tile under the toilet every time. It takes so long to get perfect cuts around a toilet, its quicker and gives a much better finish to pull it out and tile under. You dont have to be a plumber to rip a bog and basin out and bung em back in.

G

GazTech

To add to this I used to sit the loo on a bed of silicone rather than screwing it, and often cuting the heads off the scres and silicoing those where they would sit normally, giving the screwed down look.

Although I have cut around them too, some are just not worth moving, you can end up with a plumbing job on your hands lol.
cutting heads off the screws....its an old navajo trick :wink_smile:

P

porridge

I would always take the pan out and tile underneath, then replace the pan, but then I am a plumber....

As for just bedding the pan on silicone... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it! The pan MUST be screwed to the floor - that is why it has screw holes in it. I've had to sort out too many pans that have moved and are leaking poo all over the floor because the silicone under them has given way. Its not a pleasant job.

If you are worried about moving the loo and the pipework not being long enough then get yourself a flexi connector - you'll probably need to take the end off the original pipework to get it to fit on, but so long as there is a handy isolation valve its not a problem. A push fit flexi hose will make your life even easier if you are not that confident with the pipework side of things. Failing that call a plumber :wink_smile:

H

Home Tiler

nice one porridge...i did wonder about the silicone trick and the screws being cut of....but would "no nails" be a stronger fix ..if you did do it that way?....or am i way of the mark....lol

steve

P

porridge

steve, sorry for the delay in replying - Screw the pan down to the tiles. otherwise you might as well show up at the job wearing a stetson and spurs. Trying to stick the pan to the tiles is a cowboy job.

C

CLAYS TILES

nice thread boys!
if you think its going to be a problem moving the loo, use a Contour Gauge its a great tool when used right!

B

brian c

remove toilet and wash basin tile and refit,just make sure you know where to turn water off.McAlpine do a range of wc connectors available ant plumb canters across uk.

Reply to Toilets - Tile underneath or cut round in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen