Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Over Joists. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

paddymac

Hello,
we've just bought a new house, the current ground floor is concrete and I'm thinking about installing under-floor-heating. I don't want to screed as the reception room areas are too large, (16 2m each of 2) so I was thinking of putting down a DPM with 4x2 sawn battens (at 400mm centres), on top, with insulation between then the ufh piping with wood textured tiles on top of all that.

The thing is I did the ufh in the bathroom on our last house, suspended floor (of course), with 3/4" ply glued and screwed, (about every 200mm), then tiled it, (no primer but used BAL adhesive). It worked a treat and the tiles keep the heat wonderfully well so I'd really like to do it again but this time on a much larger area.

I appreciate there will be very little flexing in the bathroom as the area is not large so maybe I just got lucky.

The question I'd like to ask members is, because of the much longer runs of batten, can I expect much in the way of flexure, I'd expect to put dwangs in at 1 metre.

P

paddymac

Why not just go for insulating backer boards and an electric ufh? That'd my preferred option.

I don't have any experience with electrical UFH, and I've installed wet twice so I'm comfortable with it. I think (?) electrical is more expensive to run although cheaper to install, while wet is vice versa and as this is a once off while other rennovations are occuring I think I'll wear the cost. My only wish is that I can't/don't have a heat pump.

Reply to Tiling Over Joists. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen