Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Over Joists. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

paddymac

Hello,
we've just bought a new house, the current ground floor is concrete and I'm thinking about installing under-floor-heating. I don't want to screed as the reception room areas are too large, (16 2m each of 2) so I was thinking of putting down a DPM with 4x2 sawn battens (at 400mm centres), on top, with insulation between then the ufh piping with wood textured tiles on top of all that.

The thing is I did the ufh in the bathroom on our last house, suspended floor (of course), with 3/4" ply glued and screwed, (about every 200mm), then tiled it, (no primer but used BAL adhesive). It worked a treat and the tiles keep the heat wonderfully well so I'd really like to do it again but this time on a much larger area.

I appreciate there will be very little flexing in the bathroom as the area is not large so maybe I just got lucky.

The question I'd like to ask members is, because of the much longer runs of batten, can I expect much in the way of flexure, I'd expect to put dwangs in at 1 metre.

P

paddymac

Why not just go for insulating backer boards and an electric ufh? That'd my preferred option.

I don't have any experience with electrical UFH, and I've installed wet twice so I'm comfortable with it. I think (?) electrical is more expensive to run although cheaper to install, while wet is vice versa and as this is a once off while other rennovations are occuring I think I'll wear the cost. My only wish is that I can't/don't have a heat pump.

Reply to Tiling Over Joists. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks