Discuss Tiling over The Wunda Rapid Response in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi

I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen.

We were going to have LVT flooring before but have now decided to have porcelain tiles.

I have looked at the forum and people are saying that In order to prevent the tiles to break or crack, the surface needs to be fully prepared with levelling compound and some 4mm tile backer boards. Even though wunda said we can tile straight on top of their system.

I have no idea about this stuff as I have zero experience in this field. Can someone advise me what to do in order to prevent cracks or breaks of my tiles. So this information I can relay to a tiler I get to do my flooring.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah they always say that. Don't try tile straight over it'll cause a nightmare. Tape it all down well, then use a self-levelling compound (that's "flexible"). Then tile on that, with adhesive and grout that's flexible and cement-based.

The insulation boards are to go under it, so if it's not been used already then don't worry about that. But the heating will heat the slab under it then heat come into the room so you'll need to use it more like a storage heater by leaving it on longer and turning it off earlier once warm etc.

Reaction score
Yeah they always say that. Don't try tile straight over it'll cause a nightmare. Tape it all down well, then use a self-levelling compound (that's "flexible"). Then tile on that, with adhesive and grout that's flexible and cement-based.

The insulation boards are to go under it, so if it's not been used already then don't worry about that. But the heating will heat the slab under it then heat come into the room so you'll need to use it more like a storage heater by leaving it on longer and turning it off earlier once warm etc.
Hi

Thank you for your advice.

The installation hasn’t started yet. In terms of the insulation boards, what are they? Are they the same as the 4mm tile backer boards wunda are selling?

Also would you recommend Ditra matt to be added?

I just need to find a competent tiler.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You can post the job to the forum if you want.

I'd speak to www.uheat.co.uk they're forum sponsors and give discounts. You don't want a tile backer board. A 4mm tile backer board has only 2mm insulation. (They're for vertical tiling really).

Get a 6mm blue underfloor heating insulation. Make room for it. Use clever door strip to hide the 2mm extra height.

Then ufh matt or wire. Then SLC. Then tile. Get the higher of the two Watts, you'll appreciate it in the end.

And post pics of the job please mate? We love serving over tiling :)

Reaction score

I'd speak to www.uheat.co.uk they're forum sponsors and give discounts. You don't want a tile backer board. A 4mm tile backer board has only 2mm insulation. (They're for vertical tiling really).

Get a 6mm blue underfloor heating insulation. Make room for it. Use clever door strip to hide the 2mm extra height.

Then ufh matt or wire. Then SLC. Then tile. Get the higher of the two Watts, you'll appreciate it in the end.

Can I discuss this project via private message with you?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
No that's not really how the forum works. Discuss here anything you want.

KL1989

-
Reaction score
Hi

The installation hasn’t started yet. In terms of the insulation boards, what are they? Are they the same as the 4mm tile backer boards wunda are selling?

Also would you recommend Ditra matt to be added?

I just need to find a competent tiler.

If you’re using the Wunda Rapid Response system I don’t think you will need ditra matt or self levelling compound. You can tile directly onto the Wunda boards. But double check this.

Reaction score

Hi Dan

Regarding the 6mm blue underfloor heating insulation. Do you know where I can buy this? As I have looked online and don’t know which one to get.

I'm slightly confused , does this 6mm blue UFH board go first and then do we place the water UFH system or do these boards go on top of the UFH?

In terms of self levelling compound do you recommend any particular brand?

I have posted a job for professional tilers in London that have experience in tiling over Wunda rapid response UFH system. But I haven’t had any luck finding a professional tiler.

Do you know professional tilers in London that have experience tiling over Wunda rapid response UFH system?

Reaction score
We install tiles over Wunda systems regularly. Check their tile installation fact sheet and use the products they suggest.
They give two options on the method to install porcelain. We’ve done both and it’s been absolutely fine.
Wunda have twice told me that they see no benefit in using a decoupling membrane such as Ditra over their systems.
Their technical department are pretty swift at replying to emails too if you need to speak to them.

Reaction score
We install tiles over Wunda systems regularly. Check their tile installation fact sheet and use the products they suggest.
They give two options on the method to install porcelain. We’ve done both and it’s been absolutely fine.
Wunda have twice told me that they see no benefit in using a decoupling membrane such as Ditra over their systems.
Their technical department are pretty swift at replying to emails too if you need to speak to them.

Perfect thank you.

Have you got a website to see your work and would you be interested to discuss this project?

Reply to Tiling over The Wunda Rapid Response in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks