Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto Plasterboard in Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rustylt2

I have a job coming up where a 2ft wide section of wall has been repaired with plasterboard. Now, this plasterboard will be inside the shower cubicle and I was wondering what is the best method of tiling onto it?

The tiles are approx 8" x 12" ceramic. The customer also wants a mosaic feature running from ceiling to floor about 12" wide (but not on the plasterboard section).

What preparation and adhesives would you recommend? I was thinking of using showerproof powder adhesive (not tub stuff) and priming the walls with SBR. Do the mosaics require any special attention?

Also, I will be working with a completely empty bathroom with no shower cubicle installed yet. If I were to tile right to the floor, would there be any problems with sealing the shower tray afterwards or do the tiles need to sit down onto the tray with a trim?

Thanks guys.

G

GazTech

The tiles need to sit on tray with no trim...silicone the gap between tile and tray..a tile that size needs only tub gear the best on the market IMO is bal white star.....Gaz
BAL White Star
whitestar.jpg
White, highly flexible, non-slip, highly water-resistant ready-mixed organic dispersion ceramic wall tile adhesive utilising the latest raw material technology and employing the highest quality acrylic resins. Conforms to BS EN 12004 for a D2TE Adhesive.

Suitable for use in dry and wet duty locations including heavy duty commercial applications such as communal showers and commercial kitchens. Ideal for use on a variety of backgrounds including cement:sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, paint, sheets and boards, tilebacker panels and existing ceramic tiles. Suitable for use on worktops.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi rustylt2
prime walls with an acrylic primer dont forget to tank out shower area with bal wp1tanking kit
use single part flexable adhesive good luck

D

DHTiling

Have you recommended a tanking system..just an option , not always necessary for domestic jobs....

The shower tray should go in first as the tray's sides are usually chamfered( angled ) so this will cause a large gap to seal against the tiles...i don't use seal trims as they look unsightly and collect all the crap off shower products..seal the tray first and then again after tiling.....
You can prime the walls with bal apd or sbr which ever you have to hand....
I would just use white star to fix that type of tile ( unless porcelain ) and the mosaics as well...If the mosaics are glass or ceramics then no sealing required..(some mosaics are natural stone)..
I would recommend a flexi grout as well.....good luck.....and post us some pics in the gallery.... http://www.tilersforums.com/tilegallery/

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
sorry forgot about shower tray its always better to install the shower tray first
tile on top of tray leave 3mm movement joint and silicone after

R

rustylt2

Thanks for your input guys. I take it that SBR is all thats needed to prime the plasterboard before tiling then?

Reply to Tiling onto Plasterboard in Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen