Discuss Tiling onto Plasterboard in Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

rustylt2

I have a job coming up where a 2ft wide section of wall has been repaired with plasterboard. Now, this plasterboard will be inside the shower cubicle and I was wondering what is the best method of tiling onto it?

The tiles are approx 8" x 12" ceramic. The customer also wants a mosaic feature running from ceiling to floor about 12" wide (but not on the plasterboard section).

What preparation and adhesives would you recommend? I was thinking of using showerproof powder adhesive (not tub stuff) and priming the walls with SBR. Do the mosaics require any special attention?

Also, I will be working with a completely empty bathroom with no shower cubicle installed yet. If I were to tile right to the floor, would there be any problems with sealing the shower tray afterwards or do the tiles need to sit down onto the tray with a trim?

Thanks guys.

G

GazTech

The tiles need to sit on tray with no trim...silicone the gap between tile and tray..a tile that size needs only tub gear the best on the market IMO is bal white star.....Gaz
BAL White Star
whitestar.jpg
White, highly flexible, non-slip, highly water-resistant ready-mixed organic dispersion ceramic wall tile adhesive utilising the latest raw material technology and employing the highest quality acrylic resins. Conforms to BS EN 12004 for a D2TE Adhesive.

Suitable for use in dry and wet duty locations including heavy duty commercial applications such as communal showers and commercial kitchens. Ideal for use on a variety of backgrounds including cement:sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, paint, sheets and boards, tilebacker panels and existing ceramic tiles. Suitable for use on worktops.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi rustylt2
prime walls with an acrylic primer dont forget to tank out shower area with bal wp1tanking kit
use single part flexable adhesive good luck

D

DHTiling

Have you recommended a tanking system..just an option , not always necessary for domestic jobs....

The shower tray should go in first as the tray's sides are usually chamfered( angled ) so this will cause a large gap to seal against the tiles...i don't use seal trims as they look unsightly and collect all the crap off shower products..seal the tray first and then again after tiling.....
You can prime the walls with bal apd or sbr which ever you have to hand....
I would just use white star to fix that type of tile ( unless porcelain ) and the mosaics as well...If the mosaics are glass or ceramics then no sealing required..(some mosaics are natural stone)..
I would recommend a flexi grout as well.....good luck.....and post us some pics in the gallery.... http://www.tilersforums.com/tilegallery/

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
sorry forgot about shower tray its always better to install the shower tray first
tile on top of tray leave 3mm movement joint and silicone after

R

rustylt2

Thanks for your input guys. I take it that SBR is all thats needed to prime the plasterboard before tiling then?

C

ChaseTiling

Prime, tank and tile, leave movement joint around the shower tray and silicone it using sanitary grade silicone. Wallop some silicone around the shower unit too, if its an electric one.

Single part flexible adhesive and flexible grout.

J-D

:)

E

etc.tiling

I'm with Gaz all the way on the adhesives for this job!! BAL White Star all the way mate!! I'd offer them the BAL/Weber tanking solution as well to guarantee it all staying water-tight!!

G

grumpygrouter

I'm with Gaz all the way on the adhesives for this job!! BAL White Star all the way mate!! I'd offer them the BAL/Weber tanking solution as well to guarantee it all staying water-tight!!
If you are going to tank, tub adhesive possibly is not the way to go!

Grumpy

C

CptPugWash

would'nt tile a shower without shower tray fitted
tray might not fit arfter

nnn some trays hava small lip around the edge of em that the tiles gotta cover

be hard to get a good seal if fitted after...

some mosaic's can be thicker or thiner than yeah main tile,might be worth checking n pionting out to customer if so

n do the mosaic joints have to line up with the main tile...some can some cant

green plaster board fine for domestic showers ...green ones moister resistant..fine with tube stuff..... (not blue star though) defo

:ninja:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the threads in the tiling forum that have had a lot of views are being bumped up into current discussion. Just walk on by if it's not your flavour right now. Perhaps it'll help somebody out one day, and they become members, and then they post a thread, and professional tilers respond, and then you learn something from them...? Maybe?

Reply to Tiling onto Plasterboard in Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks