Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto new sand & cement render or tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deborah

Can I tile straight onto sand and cement render (with an spr coat) in a shower area? Or does it need tanking?
Am i correct in thinking its better without a finish coat?
Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Then it can be removed down to the old render/ block and take it from there. You may be better off removing it all and dry lining with new plasterboard.

What tiles are you planning on using?

D

Deborah

Ceramic, brick size tiles.
Apart from the drying time why would dry lining be better?
Some of the render is blown - re-rendering would mean we don't have to hack everything back to brick. If we dry line we'd either have to hack everything back or loose space....

Q

Qwerty

If it's blown already that indicates a problem. I would personally dry line it as you are guaranteed a strong flat and level surface, peace of mind and it's cheaper, unless of course you are rendering it yourself

D

Deborah

Would you take it back to brick? (involves working round a window) or just remove the blown sections?
Would you then tank the shower area?
Many Thanks

Q

Qwerty

It depends how loose it is and only you will know that. Only the last wet room I did saw what I thought would be a small amount of loose plaster and render turn to this in a few hours!!!.....

20170805_130625.jpg

20170805_130628.jpg

Dry lining the whole lot was the only way!......

20170811_085827.jpg

And Yes, I would advise that you tank the shower area

Reply to Tiling onto new sand & cement render or tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen