Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling onto new sand & cement render or tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deborah

Can I tile straight onto sand and cement render (with an spr coat) in a shower area? Or does it need tanking?
Am i correct in thinking its better without a finish coat?
Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Then it can be removed down to the old render/ block and take it from there. You may be better off removing it all and dry lining with new plasterboard.

What tiles are you planning on using?

D

Deborah

Ceramic, brick size tiles.
Apart from the drying time why would dry lining be better?
Some of the render is blown - re-rendering would mean we don't have to hack everything back to brick. If we dry line we'd either have to hack everything back or loose space....

Q

Qwerty

If it's blown already that indicates a problem. I would personally dry line it as you are guaranteed a strong flat and level surface, peace of mind and it's cheaper, unless of course you are rendering it yourself

D

Deborah

Would you take it back to brick? (involves working round a window) or just remove the blown sections?
Would you then tank the shower area?
Many Thanks

Q

Qwerty

It depends how loose it is and only you will know that. Only the last wet room I did saw what I thought would be a small amount of loose plaster and render turn to this in a few hours!!!.....

20170805_130625.jpg

20170805_130628.jpg

Dry lining the whole lot was the only way!......

20170811_085827.jpg

And Yes, I would advise that you tank the shower area

Reply to Tiling onto new sand & cement render or tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks