Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Thought I was being clever... in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
when i started laying out my tile lines,
i took a long time to come up with what i thought was a good compromise.
having bought a laser level made the job a whole lot easier.

now the rookie mistake....
i intended to lay the floor tiles across the doorway matching up the floor and wall grout lines.(wall and floor tiles the same)
but forgot about the extra joint line along a 600 x 300 tile.

i can match up the grout lines that will reach the floor if i lay the tiles longways from the door, just not sure it 'looks' right....
are there any other ways round it apart from not matching the grout lines?

20210122_113423.jpg

20210122_113452 (2).jpg

Reaction score
I think from looking at those images what you suggested about laying them long ways will work well, i would lay your first tile on the grout line betwen the toilet and the rad and get that spot on cos itll be the first one you see coming through the door and the rest should fall into place nicely.

OP
Davethefish
Reaction score
I think from looking at those images what you suggested about laying them long ways will work well, i would lay your first tile on the grout line betwen the toilet and the rad and get that spot on cos itll be the first one you see coming through the door and the rest should fall into place nicely.
Thanks,
agreed, going that way i'd avoid any mis-match in grout lines.
do you mean a full tile longitudinally, and not bother matching up the groutlines along the walls where the pipes are?

to throw a spanner in the works, the missus doesn't like them laid out longitudinally...🤨
and is happy to have a 2mm grout line mis alignment either end with just the centre grout line matching up.
as there are only 3 transverse grout lines up the walls the central one would line up.
and around 2mm difference either end using the same spacers as the wall...

i'll have a cuppa and a think...😁

Reaction score
do you mean a full tile longitudinally, and not bother matching up the groutlines along the walls where the pipes are?
maybe im wrong but if you lay them the other way to what you have in the images im not sure youll have any mis-alignment, you would just have a slight cut off the one that meets the wall i think. maybe im missing something tho....

OP
Davethefish
Reaction score
maybe im wrong but if you lay them the other way to what you have in the images im not sure youll have any mis-alignment, you would just have a slight cut off the one that meets the wall i think. maybe im missing something tho....
no, i think your spot on.👍

the missus isn't having it though... she has groutline OCD...😂
and wants the tiles acrossways.

her room... (she'll be the one cleaning it), so she can have whatever she wants...😁

on a side note... do i need to prime the self levelling compound i laid yesterday? (mepai 3240)

...or is that a silly question...prime everything! 😄

Reaction score
no, i think your spot on.👍

the missus isn't having it though... she has groutline OCD...😂
and wants the tiles acrossways.

her room... (she'll be the one cleaning it), so she can have whatever she wants...😁

on a side note... do i need to prime the self levelling compound i laid yesterday? (mepai 3240)

...or is that a silly question...prime everything! 😄

Good question, im a DIYer and have only ever tiled onto level screed, i think the purpose of the primer is more for adhesion that anything but i always have primed the surfaces, usually the night before tile a good solid coat. Good luck with the project and hope it turns out well for you...or the mrs i should say!

Reply to Thought I was being clever... in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock