Search the forum,

Discuss Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
If you've got 50 bricks you could support most of your beams shown in your orginal pictures ,this would hopefully stop any bounce what so ever

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
If you've got 50 bricks you could support most of your beams shown in your orginal pictures ,this would hopefully stop any bounce what so ever

Thats the plan! Max span will about around 1m then. Just need to decide on appropriate underlayment but I think Ditra would be OK to keep the height down to a minimum.

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
Morning @Andy Rhodes !

I'm a little tight on height yes! The new subfloor is flush with the adjacent screed and the wood floor. Both substrates need a decoupling layer so Ditra would be the best bet from herein.

I built a couple more sleepers over the weekend, went back around and packed out with slate and plastic shims for small adjustments. Blocked in the frame at opposite corners. The max clear span now is approx 800m at any point. Ply joints have a small expansion gap.

Probably give it a more rigorous test this evening as I left the mortar to go off but on first showing it was much improved the missus did a bit of jumping mid span on a few joists and the laser was moving at most 1mm and nothing at all if you're walking around normally.

The length of the tiles are 1200mm, so when you run them perpendicular to the joists you're actually spreading the load along 4 lengths so I'm not worried about any interstitial deflection between them due to the ply thickness.

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
I'm still torn on Ditra or 6mm hardie though. I can accept the extra height to strengthen the subfloor a little more for belt and braces

Would someone be able to recommend me suitable adhesive/grout for such large format tiles. Something thats got a bit of "flex" in it.

P

Perry

A little trick I found is cut strips of 3/4 ply the size of the joists and glue and screw to side of joists, it can make quite a bit of difference sometimes.

Reply to Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen