Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I think and I’m hoping they mean pipes for rads etc. Rather than actual ufc :fearscream:

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
All it means is that it limits where I can put joists on that section of the sleeper as the pipes are in the way, but at 12" OC its fine.

W

Waluigi

It does have an impact if you are overboarding the ply and need to build up the height of joining floors. For example, a Foam tile backer board would be unsuitable and instead a cement board like Hardiebacker would be OK on top of wet UFH

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
It does have an impact if you are overboarding the ply and need to build up the height of joining floors. For example, a Foam tile backer board would be unsuitable and instead a cement board like Hardiebacker would be OK on top of wet UFH

Ofc, its a problem for the other room. Thats not being tiled until the extension is built. Either way the ply will need another layer of something so I'll end up with a height difference. Can't lower this floor without rebuilding the sleepers.

Reaction score
Dense concrete blocks would work, you could place them under every second beam from the middle beam on the picture but you would have to put a piece of slate under the block or DPM to stop damp, may also cheaper & quicker

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
Eventually yes. I mentioned it in the OP these rooms will be joined so there will be a substrate difference and will need to be factored in. Thankfully the tiles will run with the join so at most its one tile that will straddle the two floors although I suppose you could just end of a full tile at the edges.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ofc, its a problem for the other room. Thats not being tiled until the extension is built. Either way the ply will need another layer of something so I'll end up with a height difference. Can't lower this floor without rebuilding the sleepers.

Or take ply up and put a thicker cement / structural board down. Double up joists and maybe even block and you should be sound as a pound

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can fix mechanical expansion joint to bridge where the 2 floors meet,& by cutting up to the joint continue it with the off cut & it still gives the impression that the floor runs through

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this stuff is good.

I've got spare timber, so I will go ahead and double up the spans showing deflection and re-test. I think this will solve any lingering deflection problems and shouldnt take a great deal of my time.

I'll look into Blanke Permat for this subfloor. The extra expense might be worth it (12m2), but Ditra would be more suitable for the adjacent room with screen/WUFH and more cost effective. Both add the same height so would work.

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
I live in Warwick if you would like to pm me. I can come have a look.

Cheers buddy, I'll be working on it this weekend so will report back after bolting some more 4x2's together. A second opinion would be much welcomed.

I should have gone gone 6x2 really and just cut back at the ends. Wouldn't have got anything bigger than that in though.

OP
D

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
I've given it a bit more testing, and I've come to the conclusion that bolting more timber together will not reduce vertical movement to an acceptable level to be considered for tile. However given the sleepers are 2 courses, I'm going to basically add another 2 walls mid span either side so the max clear span is 1m. I've got aload of spare blue engineering bricks here from the previous owners. A quick test of deflection over that span with some offcuts shows it will not move.

Reply to Suspended Timber Floor Tile Prep in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock