Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss soucing materials... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mr Tiler

Is there one place you go when sourcing materials other than tiles and adhesives? Like timber and materials the tile shops don't stock? Or do you guys shop around and end up driving here n there for the cheapest? Cheers

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Timber batons and ply etc I use a local builders merchant, they are a fraction of the price of the big sheds

W

White Room

I have local suppliers who I shop with, used to order stuff like Marmox but have N&C nearby who supply there brand...

R

RDTiling

I try to use local suppliers and builders merchants where possible, as it saves an 18 mile round trip to Tradepoint. Also they are generally a bit cheaper too.

R

RDTiling

You've also got to weigh up, whether travelling around for 30-40 minutes to save a couple of quid is really worth it, particularly with the price of diesel!

M

Mr Tiler

Thanks guys I only ask as I have a b&q no more than a mile from me, seems mad to go anywhere else but dam it can be well overpriced for some things. Also a tile choice round the corner ;) other tile stores I know of are the other side of the city when I'm up and running I'll be sat outside all day in me van los. Cheers

R

RDTiling

The way I look at it is that time spent travelling is better spent working, particularly on a Friday. You can't beat a cheeky early finish on a Friday.

R

RDTiling

They can be Ash for certain things. Once you are set up, get yourself in these places and get a Trade account setup. I've got several accounts with various suppliers, but only really use a couple of them.

Always worth having as you never know when you might need to drop into a supplier you wouldn't normally use to pick up some last minute materials.

M

Mr Tiler

Topps asked me if I was trade when pricing up some tiles... I said yes and the guy wanted proof... He said he wanted something on A4 I just walked out.

S

SJPurdy

I've got a B&Q about a mile away so they are useful for bits of timber, plaster etc etc. I find the prices competitive (often cheaper than) with local merchants, so use them. I just wish I'd got an old person to take along and get the extra 10% on a Wednesday?

As for getting trade accounts - I just wish they would ask for some proof from Inland revenue that you are a trades person. Anyone can print a card or letterhead.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to weigh up the odds really. If it's worth the time and fuel to get to something where it's cheaper, then it's worth going there.

Half the job in ensuring your competitive is making sure you're not paying too much for your materials and tools (and van etc etc etc) as all those fees your customer will inevitably end up paying for.

Comes to a point though where you say 'I only need one, and it's here at this price, is it worth driving around to find it cheaper' type thing.

Q

Qwerty

I have trade accounts everywhere across the surrounding 30 miles so tend to use whichever is closest to the job (can be tempted by one if it has an offer on like a free tool or radio control helicopter which was the latest treat from one merchant!)

P

Peter

I use 3 independant merchants and Tradepoint. They all do certain products cheaper than the other so between them you can save a good few quid overall. All within 3 miles of my house so spoilt for choice.

Reply to soucing materials... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks