Search the forum,

Discuss soucing materials... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

I've got a B&Q about a mile away so they are useful for bits of timber, plaster etc etc. I find the prices competitive (often cheaper than) with local merchants, so use them. I just wish I'd got an old person to take along and get the extra 10% on a Wednesday?

As for getting trade accounts - I just wish they would ask for some proof from Inland revenue that you are a trades person. Anyone can print a card or letterhead.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to weigh up the odds really. If it's worth the time and fuel to get to something where it's cheaper, then it's worth going there.

Half the job in ensuring your competitive is making sure you're not paying too much for your materials and tools (and van etc etc etc) as all those fees your customer will inevitably end up paying for.

Comes to a point though where you say 'I only need one, and it's here at this price, is it worth driving around to find it cheaper' type thing.

Q

Qwerty

I have trade accounts everywhere across the surrounding 30 miles so tend to use whichever is closest to the job (can be tempted by one if it has an offer on like a free tool or radio control helicopter which was the latest treat from one merchant!)

P

Peter

I use 3 independant merchants and Tradepoint. They all do certain products cheaper than the other so between them you can save a good few quid overall. All within 3 miles of my house so spoilt for choice.

M

Mr Tiler

Thanks guys I suppose it all depends on the job and what materials are needed then. Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am available on a Wednesday if anyone needs the extra old people's discount at BQ!
Day rate + deisel and I'll also bring along a piece of A4 paper, vista print business card and pension book !

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
B and Q Stock more bananas than the local fruit and veg shop when it comes to timber.
If you have a timber yard/merchants near you pop in and have a chat with them ash. You'll find better quality and probably cheaper by far!

Reply to soucing materials... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen