Currently reading:
Slate over wet ufh

Discuss Slate over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi peeps, just a question and would appreciate any input, I am pricing a un-calibrated opus pattern slate floor. This is over a wet ufh system, my concerns are , would you think slate, given it's quite fragile nature would stand up to the heating / cooling cycle without shelling / flaking etc.? I have convinced the client to go with a de-coupling membrane.

As I have never laid slate over ufh, although I have laid loads of slate, I would like some other opinions. The other nagging question is, the slate is very bad for shape, riven finish both sides. I have pointed out to the client that even after grading the tiles and lots of bedding up etc, there will be some lippage. To which she replied " I don't want any lips".

The slate is from Tile Giant, I asked her to go back to the showroom and check out the display, telling her that the display tiles would have been chosen for their uniformity, even so there are 4mm/5mm lips on the display. Having returned to the TG store she is adamant she wants to use this tile.

As the pattern is opus ( five sizes) I am governed by the pattern for joint size. Normally with slate I would give 10mm/15mm joint, but in this case I am limited to 4mm/5mm joint. Any thoughts?:thumbsup: Thanks, Phil.

T

Time's Ran Out

I had a conversation about a very similar issue with an 'old' mate earlier this evening (he actually woke me up - well it was 7-30pm!).
Sometimes when I estimate/discuss tiling with a customer I tend to give too many 'pointers' as to what they should expect from a job, as though I'am selling the fact that they should have the job done properly. And I ask myself 'am I trying to justify my price?
But the answer always comes back - give them all the information they need and hope they DO want the job done properly.
The job we are on is exactly this - Slate over UFH - and as we did the same 10 years ago for the same client (in a different house) we've never encountered any problems.
Another part of this job is also Opus pattern Travertine as a frieze border and into other rooms. Your size problem for joint width is an issue and we are having to trim some of the small square pieces to keep an even joint.
Many years ago I used to advertise work to a Showroom standard, but now most of them seem to be very poor and at times I wonder how people can be enticed to buy some of the displays on view.
Good luck with the pricing.

Reply to Slate over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.