Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Shower tray set underneath backing board? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jimmy81

Hi folks - first post here but a long time reader, so hello! :smile5:

Now onto my question - would be very grateful if anyone could help! After long research I'm well aware the recommended way to install a shower tray is to do so after moisture-resistant board has already been fitted, and to seal the tray to the walls.

Our problem: in our very tiny bathroom, there's just not room to do this, for the size shower tray we want. So - I'm trying to find out, if we fit the shower tray first of all - with the walls taken back to bare brick - can we then board above the edges of the tray, tank and tile so that we've got a nice waterproofed result?

I know this is far from a perfect solution, but I've been through every other approach and can't see any other option unless we go for a smaller tray & build a false wall - and given the lack of space, losing any unnecessarily isn't an appealing thought!

However - there may be some reasons why this simply won't work - and if so, I'm hoping you can tell me! :nono:

The other thought I had was to use waterproof panels instead of board & tiles, with the panels sitting on battens just slightly overlapping the shower tray. Any thoughts on this approach, pros & cons...?

I was also wondering what best to do with the shower tray if fitting before the boards go in - it could be seated on a scree base, but what to do with the edges...? Try and seal to the brickwork, or just leave it alone...?

Would really welcome any thoughts you might have - thanks very much for any replies!

(PS Also posted over on the tiling forum at DIYnot... But hoping for more responses here! :smilewinkgrin:)

I

Ian

Hello Jimmy. What you are proposing is fine, just one thing to be careful of is, if you have a wall to wall screen going in on the shower tray, make sure it still fits when you add the thickness of a plasterboard and tile on each side. The tolerances of these screens usually have a minimum and maximum opening of +/- 25mm, don't leave the opening too small, that'll be a right pain to rectify.

L

Lodger

Hi,
Using 6mm tile backer boards would give you more room for sure. Its also good for moisture and strength. Sand and cement render is also an option.
As mentioned above, the shower doors have very little adjustment so open up the packaging and physically measure the minimum width.
Although not recommended, for extreme measures, the shower door can be fitted before tiling. I have never done no would I do it, but I have seen it done by plumbers.

J

jimmy81

Thanks Bri - that sounds like a good answer to me!

Appreciate the caution regarding the shower screen too. That has been preying on my mind - I'm currently torn between buying a standard screen & hoping it really does live up to the manufacturer's quoted adjustment tolerance, or going bespoke - at far greater £££, of course. Decisions, decisions...

I

Ian

Thanks Bri - that sounds like a good answer to me!

Appreciate the caution regarding the shower screen too. That has been preying on my mind - I'm currently torn between buying a standard screen & hoping it really does live up to the manufacturer's quoted adjustment tolerance, or going bespoke - at far greater £££, of course. Decisions, decisions...

Failing that, hang a couple of bin bags from a curtain pole :lol:

Reply to Shower tray set underneath backing board? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks