Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Shocking Workmanship! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KL Tiling

Morning All. Thought I'd post some pictures of a job some friends of mine asked me to look at. They had their bathroom refurb done in March this year at quite some expense. The grout in the floor was continually cracking and the company concerned sent a young guy round who basically regrouted the floor. The company no longer return calls! I wonder why?

IMG_0943.jpg

The vanity units were 'fixed' using no nails! This set the alarm bells ringing.

IMG_0941.jpg

The floor was dot/dabbed directly onto the chipboard floor and the adhesive was just crumbling away. I actually pulled most of the floor up with my hands!

IMG_0947.jpg

The boxing in around the pipework was crude to say the least. Timber frame very badly put together and stuck to everything with no nails. Even the tiles were stuck directly to the timber frame using no nails :mad2:

IMG_0949.jpg

When I took the boxing in apart, the wall tiles it was attached to fell off the wall! I wonder why :oops:

IMG_0950.jpg

I think this one might be my favourite. This tile was stuck (and I use the term stuck loosely!) using three small blobs of silicone :yikes:

IMG_0948.jpg

This one isn't too clear I'm afraid, but the edges are really rough. If you're not going to mitre conrners surely it would be better to use a nice tile trim?

I don't claim to be perfect or the best tiler around and I have made mistakes over the years but I do try to do everything by the book. If you do a good job to start with then its less likely things will go wrong. This however looks to be nothing short of the work of a complete cowboy! He charged thousands for this bathroom and now won't even answer his phone! People like this should be stopped.

Karl

B

Bubblecraft

I get furious when I see jobs like that. It annoys me that customers are paying good money & ending up with poor workmanship. That is absolutely shocking!

P

Perry

its hard when you are sitting at home doing nowt because these people are cheaper or talk a good job :ban:

S

Scottell17

It's kills me to see stuff like this how do some people sleep at night? The company should be named and shamed so no one has to suffer this ever again :-$

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They got to blame themself mate bx customer should employer tiler and not builder does little of everything

K

KL Tiling

They are in the process of compiling information to give to trading standards. The company is called REMOVED. The labour costs alone were £2500!!! I've given the floor the full hardibacker treatment etc but then noticed a lot of the walls are just hollow when you tap them, but they really don't want to start taking the walls down aswell. I have a feeling they might not have much choice soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

robbieraven

Disgusting workmanship. I just never get the lack of a conscience, how could you walk away from that. I worry about the slightest things that no normal person would even spot!

afright

TF
Reaction score
If the walls sound hollow that,s an accident just waiting to happen,they certainly used a mish mash to stick the tiles it makes you wonder how many more jobs they have bodged.

Reply to Shocking Workmanship! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks