Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sealing where tiles meet shower tray? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Don

What is the best way to seal where the wall tiles sit on the shower tray?

I have a Classic Seal (Classi Seal ® Flexible Waterproof Upstand) on the shower tray and the tiles come to rest right on the tray, so not sure if I can get away with no extra sealing at all.

I presume my options are to grout the join or silicone. I have a pet hate of silicone as it always discolours over time so would be interested to hear if there are any other options?

Cheers.

S

Stewart

I would silicone using Mapei for colours or Sealux for White and clear. I've never had a problem with them discolouring and use them on every install I do.

I

Ian

Don' grout the joint, it will crack and fall out in no time at all. As Stewart says, use a thin bead of good quality silicone and it will last years with no problems.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I tend to cut the tile 1-2mm shy of the tray so the silicone grips to the cut part of the tile rather then smooth faces. As said above, do not grout! it will crack and fall out.

R

Rich

Sound advice above. Dont grout the joint, it will crack and come loose in time, even if you grout then silicone over the top the grout will come away and take the silicone with it. Leave the joint clear of grout and make sure that it is free fromm any dust then put a good water tight bead of a high quality silicone (like mapei) along the joint between the shower tray and the tiles.

P.S The same goes with the joint running up the wall.

Reaction score
Sound advice above. Dont grout the joint, it will crack and come loose in time, even if you grout then silicone over the top the grout will come away and take the silicone with it. Leave the joint clear of grout and make sure that it is free fromm any dust then put a good water tight bead of a high quality silicone (like mapei) along the joint between the shower tray and the tiles.

P.S The same goes with the joint running up the wall.

Actually silicone is not water tight, better have the watertight waterproofing underneath - silicone is a low porosity, flexible filler. Having given the industry standard response - I still think silicone is pretty nearly watertight (lol)!

R

Rich

Actually silicone is not water tight, better have the watertight waterproofing underneath - silicone is a low porosity, flexible filler. Having given the industry standard response - I still think silicone is pretty nearly watertight (lol)!

A water tight bead, As in no gap between the silicone and the wall/tray

Reply to Sealing where tiles meet shower tray? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks