Discuss Sealant set onto tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I'm new to tiling but I put white sealant into a corner movement joint and then tried to wipe the excess off but it went all over the surrounding tiles now the sealant has hardened and i cant get it off. I've tried an orbital sander but it leaves a black mark/burn on the tile. Any ideas how to remove this?

A

aejrd

u can rub dry grout powder on it that sometimes brings marks off if they r glazed tiles

D

DHTiling

Something like this from screwfix or other makes from DIY stores... will do the job no probs...handy stuff to carry with you....

100ml. Removes silicone and acrylic sealants without damaging adjacent surfaces.
http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/cat/40/p1214640_l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rad2474

Next time after applying the silicone spray it with washing up liquid and water to stop it sticking where you don't want it.Then you can easily wipe it away.

G

Gazzer

Lol , Dave i dont think that will remove the burn marks from the orbital sander though. :mad2:

D

DHTiling

If its just the silcone gone black it will..if he has marked the tiles then they need replacing..........:grin:

B

Big-Smudge

Next time after applying the silicone spray it with washing up liquid and water to stop it sticking where you don't want it.Then you can easily wipe it away.

Next time use cornertape to apply your silicone, you won't need any water or chemicals to remove the smudged silicone because you don't get into a mess with cornertape, its almost impossible. Which means that you won't waste your time cleaning up afterwards and can move onto the next job sooner.

The finish will also be better than anything you have seen before.

Best regards

Andy

D

dock

Having been involved with formulating silicones a while back I can tell you that neutral cure sealants can be relatively easily removed as their adhesion is not that good. Unfortunately..............acetoxy cure silicones are pretty good. Once cured 111 trichroloethylene (Trike) will soften silicone but the only thing I have found to move it effectively is a sharp stanley knife blade.........sorry and loads of elbow grease, patience and care.

Dock

T

tfs

heay folks,

I have tried using the silicone remover in the past and it is a load of nonsense. Ii think it only realy works to break down fresh silicone.

still keep it in the old tool bag though!

G

Gazzer

heay folks,

I have tried using the silicone remover in the past and it is a load of nonsense. Ii think it only realy works to break down fresh silicone.

still keep it in the old tool bag though!

Works for me, in fact used it today. no problem.

Reply to Sealant set onto tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay