Search the forum,

Discuss Sealant set onto tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Big-Smudge

Next time after applying the silicone spray it with washing up liquid and water to stop it sticking where you don't want it.Then you can easily wipe it away.

Next time use cornertape to apply your silicone, you won't need any water or chemicals to remove the smudged silicone because you don't get into a mess with cornertape, its almost impossible. Which means that you won't waste your time cleaning up afterwards and can move onto the next job sooner.

The finish will also be better than anything you have seen before.

Best regards

Andy

D

dock

Having been involved with formulating silicones a while back I can tell you that neutral cure sealants can be relatively easily removed as their adhesion is not that good. Unfortunately..............acetoxy cure silicones are pretty good. Once cured 111 trichroloethylene (Trike) will soften silicone but the only thing I have found to move it effectively is a sharp stanley knife blade.........sorry and loads of elbow grease, patience and care.

Dock

J

jonty

thanks all, and I think you're right Dock but it will take a long time! I think i will just replace the tiles. This happened on my first splashback, but it will never happen again- after putting in sealant( far too much) i tried to wipe the excess away with a dry cloth (i'd never used sealant before) but now I have done a couple sealant joints since and have used 'wonder wipes' which i heard of on this site which worked fine but now a friend told me all you need is a wet cloth but whatever I'll learn the hard way

Reply to Sealant set onto tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.