Search the forum,

Discuss Sand/cement mix for terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hopefultiler

Could anyone recommend the correct sand/cement mix for putting terracotta tiles outside? The tiles are 15mm deep and I need it to be 15-20mm thick to bring them up to the surrounding level. Also is boiled linseed an appropriate sealer for outside use? Thanks.

D

Dale44

Screed to required hight, allowing for tile thickness and adhesive. Use a powered flex adhesive to fix tiles and a clear natural stone sealer, there are many on the market. Check out the tile suppliers on this site. Tile Choice etc.

S

Spud

you can directly fix the terracotta in to sand and cement but you would need to soak the tiles over night and allow them to drain 20 minutes before fixing them , you cant use a too strong a mix on terracotta as the more cement added the more shrinkage you get in the mortar and this can crack the tiles , I would go 5;1 sharp sand to cement and enhance it with sbr you will need to slurry the backs of the tiles in order to bond them to the screed, the advice Above is probably the best if you have no experience in fixing in mortar beds screed first let this dry then tile with powdered adhesive

H

hopefultiler

Thanks for the replies gents. I have laid red clay square pavers on sand/cement outside before but they were about twice as thick. I also butted them filling tiny gaps with dried sand/cement. These terracottas are reclaimed 8" squares. How do you think I should approach grouting and should they be sealed before doing? Thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

If they are reclaimed then they may not accept any seal so test first on a sample tile. Terracotta outside in our climate with freeze/thaw is risky IMHO so confirm they are Terracotta or Quarry tiles.

Reply to Sand/cement mix for terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen