Search the forum,

Discuss re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Isidoro

Hello

I am planning to refurbish the bathroom in my house. and I am not a professional

The walls tiles need to be removed and I am expecting the plasterboard will get ruined.

What is the best approuch

should I replace the old plasteboard with a cement board
(like backing board aquapanel from wickes)

or could I just put the the new cement board on top of the original plasterboard using screw and adhesive ?

I suppose the second will be easier

thanks a lot

Isidoro

I

ianflem

Re: re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing boa

You could just Replace the plasterboard with new plasterboard and tank out wet area's.

I

Isidoro

Hello Ianflem

thanks for your reply

So from your experience for walls iwould it be easier to replace plasterboard ? instead of put a backing board on top ?

thanks a lot

Isidoro

I

Ian

How is the current plasterboard fixed? Is it dot and dabbed to the block/brick or screwed to studs? Either way, it's a better job to replace rather than cover it over. Unless you are fitting heavy stone tiles, the cement board really isn't necessary, plasterboard is much cheaper also.

I

Isidoro

3 walls are internal so I am expecting are screwed but the external one could be dabbed
I suppose the dabbed one are difficult to remove.

the tiles are ceramic but they are a bit heavy: weight is 16 kg /m2 but I suppose it still possible to use normal plasterboard
however if I go for something like hardiebacker could it be pssible to replace the previous plasteboard for the walls ?

thanks a lot

Reaction score

Yes is the answer.
Seems you want to use Hardiebacker, so use Hardi

I

ianflem

Isidoro,
Whether the boards are dot n dabbed or screwed to studs they can both be removed.
The weight you have advised will be fine on standard plasterboard.Cement boards can
be used if u wish.If it were me I would replace with new plasterboard and apply tanking
kit to wet area's (Shower etc).

T

Time's Ran Out

If your going to replace use a waterproof board or tile backer board.

D

DHTiling

You ask the best approach. A pro who knows how to give you that bathroom you need with that wow! Factor.

H

hedgie

I start my tiling tomorrow :sofahide: and for what its worth . . . . .

I took all the plasterboard off when I removed the old tiles. It had been dot and dabbed to the thermoblock walls and removing the dots/dabs took a long time but worth it. I rebuilt the surface with Tile Backer Boards and tile adhesive then tanked the whole lot.

Like most things - careful prep is the key.

Good luck. :juggle:

Reply to re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen