Currently reading:
re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ?

Search the forum,

Discuss re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Isidoro

Hello

I am planning to refurbish the bathroom in my house. and I am not a professional

The walls tiles need to be removed and I am expecting the plasterboard will get ruined.

What is the best approuch

should I replace the old plasteboard with a cement board
(like backing board aquapanel from wickes)

or could I just put the the new cement board on top of the original plasterboard using screw and adhesive ?

I suppose the second will be easier

thanks a lot

Isidoro

I

Isidoro

Re: re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing boa

3 walls are internal so I am expecting are screwed but the external one could be dabbed
I suppose the dabbed one are difficult to remove.

the tiles are ceramic but they are a bit heavy: weight is 16 kg /m2 but I suppose it still possible to use normal plasterboard
however if I go for something like hardiebacker could it be pssible to replace the previous plasteboard for the walls ?

thanks a lot

H

hedgie

I start my tiling tomorrow :sofahide: and for what its worth . . . . .

I took all the plasterboard off when I removed the old tiles. It had been dot and dabbed to the thermoblock walls and removing the dots/dabs took a long time but worth it. I rebuilt the surface with Tile Backer Boards and tile adhesive then tanked the whole lot.

Like most things - careful prep is the key.

Good luck. :juggle:

H

hedgie

These any good? IMG_1535 (2) (800x600).jpg Lights (4) (600x800).jpg

Reply to re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement