Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Isidoro

Hello

I am planning to refurbish the bathroom in my house. and I am not a professional

The walls tiles need to be removed and I am expecting the plasterboard will get ruined.

What is the best approuch

should I replace the old plasteboard with a cement board
(like backing board aquapanel from wickes)

or could I just put the the new cement board on top of the original plasterboard using screw and adhesive ?

I suppose the second will be easier

thanks a lot

Isidoro

I

ianflem

Re: re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing boa

You could just Replace the plasterboard with new plasterboard and tank out wet area's.

I

Isidoro

Hello Ianflem

thanks for your reply

So from your experience for walls iwould it be easier to replace plasterboard ? instead of put a backing board on top ?

thanks a lot

Isidoro

I

Ian

How is the current plasterboard fixed? Is it dot and dabbed to the block/brick or screwed to studs? Either way, it's a better job to replace rather than cover it over. Unless you are fitting heavy stone tiles, the cement board really isn't necessary, plasterboard is much cheaper also.

I

Isidoro

3 walls are internal so I am expecting are screwed but the external one could be dabbed
I suppose the dabbed one are difficult to remove.

the tiles are ceramic but they are a bit heavy: weight is 16 kg /m2 but I suppose it still possible to use normal plasterboard
however if I go for something like hardiebacker could it be pssible to replace the previous plasteboard for the walls ?

thanks a lot

Reaction score

Yes is the answer.
Seems you want to use Hardiebacker, so use Hardi

I

ianflem

Isidoro,
Whether the boards are dot n dabbed or screwed to studs they can both be removed.
The weight you have advised will be fine on standard plasterboard.Cement boards can
be used if u wish.If it were me I would replace with new plasterboard and apply tanking
kit to wet area's (Shower etc).

T

Time's Ran Out

If your going to replace use a waterproof board or tile backer board.

D

DHTiling

You ask the best approach. A pro who knows how to give you that bathroom you need with that wow! Factor.

H

hedgie

I start my tiling tomorrow :sofahide: and for what its worth . . . . .

I took all the plasterboard off when I removed the old tiles. It had been dot and dabbed to the thermoblock walls and removing the dots/dabs took a long time but worth it. I rebuilt the surface with Tile Backer Boards and tile adhesive then tanked the whole lot.

Like most things - careful prep is the key.

Good luck. :juggle:

H

hedgie

These any good? IMG_1535 (2) (800x600).jpg Lights (4) (600x800).jpg

H

hedgie

Not dot n dab - full cover with tile adhesive using 3mm square notched trowel. As the substrate was clean adhesion is good . . . . I hope - :yikes:

Reply to re-tiling walls plasterboard advice replace or add a backing board ? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks