Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Re-sealing problem honed and filled travertine in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

grover100

Hello everybody

Wow, this site looks great, just hope someone can help me!

I have honed and filled travertine in my shower and are due for re-sealing. Originally they were only sealed with Lithofin multi-seal and I have since found out that I should have used an impregnator first!

Please could you help me as I don't know what to do next. Should I just re-apply more multi-seal? Should I try and get it off and then use an impregnator or could I just put an impregnator straight on now?

Lastly, I am worried now that no impregnator was used, would there be any problems caused because of this?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

D

doug boardley

Hi grover, I'd be stripping the multi seal with LTP Grimex, then use LTP mattstone (impregnating ) sealer, when it's dry.

A

Alberta Stone

Trouble with stone is that the sealer isn't just sitting on the surface and so may need a mechanical removal Like a dry grind/polish to get it ready for the impregnator, which is a stand alone product that needs no sealer to follow.
I have used this product before and it works well:
Impregnator Pro® Sealer - DuPont? StoneTech® Professional

looks like the wrong choice was made to begin with.

If you try to use a chemical remover it may drive part of the film deeper into the stone impeding any further products effectiveness.
I would be testing a couple of methods of removal in small areas before choosing one to do the whole area with.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Alberta, I actually phoned LTP regarding this post, they said that my procedure/advice was correct:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

As we have said before the multi seal is just sitting on the surface and has effectively sealed the stone , but it does leave a sheen and will eventually wear.. where as impregnators do last a lot lot longer..

You could leave it till the time of it needing to be reapplied and then strip and seal.. probs around 12 to 18 months time depending on cleaning regime or bite the bullet and strip and seal with a impregnator that will last 10 yrs or more..

G

grover100

Thanks for all your replies.
Could you recommend a stripper to get the multi-seal off? Doug has mentioned LTP Grimex above (cheers Doug), just wondering if there are others incase I can't get that one locally? Is it wise to stick to Lithofin or does it not matter?

Cheers guys.

Reply to Re-sealing problem honed and filled travertine in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks