Search the forum,

Discuss Putting down hardi six mil boards down on floor for travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

roytheplumber

Hi all iam putting down travertine tiles down I was advised by tops tiles to purchase a six mil board and screw it down on to floor boards is this the correct way
any advice gratefully received

cheers
roy

I

Ian

Re: Putting down hardi six mil boards down on floor for travertine til

Hello Roy, this info is almost right, the boards need to be glued as well as screwed (use flexible tile adhesive to stick them).

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd check your floorboards are deflection free, adhesive and screw fix the hardi boards and with Travertine it would be worth looking at a decoupling membrane as well.

R

Rookery

I too would seriously consider a decoupling membrane with this comination of soft stone and a timber floor.

W

White Room

Decoupling membrane for me also.....

R

roytheplumber

Hi forgive my niavity what is a membrane roymembrane roy

I

Ian

Google, "schluter ditra" or "dural ci+" alternatively, click on PHG wet rooms banner at the side of the page, they stock dural.

beanz

TF
Reaction score

Can i ask why you'd need Ditra in this situation? I'm still new to using membranes, and can't see the benefit of using it on top of the Hardie!?!

I

Ian

Can i ask why you'd need Ditra in this situation? I'm still new to using membranes, and can't see the benefit of using it on top of the Hardie!?!

It will help to absorb any lateral movement that is associated with wooden/heated substrates.

beanz

TF
Reaction score

I understand what the membrane is for, just not sure it's needed in this situation, as two layers of flexible adhesive should (I would have thought) be enough to take up the lateral movement. Up until recently, i'd always overboarded with 12mm Ply, and tiled directly onto this.. I've changed my method recently, as i can see that Ply could shrink enough to be a problem, but saying that not had a fail yet luckily..

I

Ian

It is a very belt and braces approach, I'm usually happy with just cement board if the floor is not heated, but if the combination is, wooden substrate/heated/soft stone, I'd always opt for the membrane, doesn't take much to crack trav/limestone/marble.

beanz

TF
Reaction score

Yeah i can see why you might go down that route if it was heated actually.. A lot more movement. ;)

Reply to Putting down hardi six mil boards down on floor for travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen