Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Newbie looking for advice on tiles lifting! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

Old Mod

Please checkout the following advertisement.
The tiler doesn’t seem to think the floor needs sanded

Well to be honest, can you trust his judgement?
And “doesn’t seem to think” is exactly the definitive answer you require.

I’ve recently laid over 100m2 of 120 x 120 x 6mm thin tile on to a liquid cement based screed, and all the information supplied stated laitance free, and does not need sanding.

Un-sanded.
AF4ADA06-E33D-43F4-87F2-D630B11C0B3E.png

The darker patches are surface laitance, you can not adhere to this, it will separate at some point.
You mentioned a thin skin on the bottom of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/!!
This does not mean it no longer needs sanding, for peace of mind I’d still want it done.
A 60# grit copper disc on a floor polisher type machine should work easily enough.

Sanded.
If you expand the image you can see the aggregates in the screed, that’s what we prefer to see before sticking even a mat to it.
When I say we, I mean the crew I personally work with.

861DE5CC-AD5E-431E-B9E6-2F45F3F1D134.png

Priming is an exact process too.
If it’s applied in coats that are too strong, it can form a skin instead of soaking in to thescreed.
Then you’re sticking to the skin and not the floor.
First coat should be very weak, 5/6-1 with water.
Second, slightly stronger.
If it’s still drying instantly, it could have another coat.
But it must soak in and not pool on the surface.

But your tiler should know this.

I would also insist on a 1mm antifracture mat on top of the screed too, before it was tiled.

As far as the product suggested above, Bal Flexbone 2easy.
Personally have no experience as yet with it, so I can’t comment on its suitability I’m afraid.

But it’s all assumption, very difficult to pin point all the reasons it’s failed without seeing it in the flesh.

OP
B

Benc

TF
Reaction score
Still no reason as to why the tiles have lifted! Waiting on a report from the rep of the screed product! The rep said that with having a liquid screed in the extension and normal sand cement screed in the house we will need an expansion joint to stop the tiles cracking! Our tiler has suggested using the anti fracture Matt but can this be used between the sand cement screed and the liquid screed?

J

J Sid

a mat will be good but will definitely need a expansion joint across ufh in new area. Would of expected there to have been an expansion joint put in by screed contractor between new and old.

D

Dumbo

Still no reason as to why the tiles have lifted! Waiting on a report from the rep of the screed product! The rep said that with having a liquid screed in the extension and normal sand cement screed in the house we will need an expansion joint to stop the tiles cracking! Our tiler has suggested using the anti fracture Matt but can this be used between the sand cement screed and the liquid screed?
Anti fracture mat if used would be over the whole area not just the join . But it is not a substitute for an expansion joint.

Reaction score
In the extension on the UFH & cement screed, I would have laid anti-fracture mat to were it meets the original floor, dependent on how wide that room was I may have put an expansion joint through the middle of the room if it 3m2 or more , but defo left 10 mm round the walls just to give me piece of mind in case of any movement. as for between the original floor & the extension was I would have used some kind of movement joint either mastic or a trim type,but again from looking a the pictures you supplied I don't think in would have made any difference

OP
B

Benc

TF
Reaction score
Tiles are all lifted and the floor is being sanded this week! Going to use a acrylic primer! Can anyone tell me the proper procedure for laying this primer please?

OP
B

Benc

TF
Reaction score
Floor ready for sanding! Part of the floor is very uneven and a self leveling compound has to be used to bring it up to the correct level! Also laying an anti fracture Matt plus an expansion joint between the two floors

F

Flintstone

That floor looks to have suffered some cracking, it needs an antifracture mat.
If a screed is pumped - it needs sanding, simple as that, I've never seen one that doesn't need sanding.
The reason for the failures are-
PVA
Fixing method
Not sanded.
The tiler needs a reality check, don't let him fob you off !
I'd be calling the screed company too and demanding an answer and a resolution as to why there pumped in self leveling screed is not level !

Reply to Newbie looking for advice on tiles lifting! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock