Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Newb in need of advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JayJay2324

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my thread and hopefully you experience gents and ladies if any on here wont mind me picking your brains! :smilewinkgrin:
My names JayJay, I am not a professional tiler but mainly buy and sell houses. Being that the market has been abit bad over the years I ended up starting a small tiling company to help with money as so far it has been fairly good. I enjoy tiling a lot as its a very skill full job to which you can look at a good completed job and think...'i did that'. I like to think I'm pretty handy at but here's the issue.
I have had the opportunity to price a floor tiling job with honed travertine tiles but haven't really had a go before. I'm sure some of you may end up telling me to leave it alone if I'm inexperienced but what's the best way to actually learn? I think its to have a go, as long as you not a complete cabbage I think it should be okay.
I reckon I know most of the theory in laying natural stone but I'm always happy to receive tips and suggestions from you masters out there. o.k I'm gonna stop rambling and give you the low down on this job. Basically I'm not sure what price to give as I would really like to get this job, it could lead to several other jobs which is always good and I have a few questions regarding the tiling. thanks

1) 48m2 floor which is a mix of screed and concrete which I will latex. How long should I wait before latexing onto fresh screed? theory is it dries at 1mm/day but obviously client doesn't want to wait for 4inches to dry.

2) Price for laying light honed and front filled 600x400 travertine floor tiles, 48m2 inc sealing many times and grout etc - brick effect to letex floor and just me
I've read/heard tilers say travertine costs more due to it being very time consuming due to sealing but how much more? I've read guys pricing £20-40/m2?

3) What's the whole reason behind leaving a 6mm joint all the way around any internal stud/external wall edges?? expansion? Won't this look really bad as the client wants to keep existing skirting down but it's mahogony stained? i could try and convince them to remove skirting, tile and leave 6mm joints away from walls and silicone these edges then he can put skirting on top hiding the 6mm gap????

Thanks a million in advance guys...I do have a few more questions but I just want to get these clear for myself first before overloading my noggin! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

We dont mention prices as this can be very regional. If you require quotes you can do so but not on the forum.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
imo you shouldn't be having ago at the customers expense.......will you tell them of your inexperience ?

J

JayJay2324

I understand where your coming from Andy but I don't feel I'm that inexperienced regarding laying a level tile with minimal lippage and using correct adhesives/grouts etc on the correct substrate. The only thing id say I was inexperienced in is the pricing bit and maybe, at first the best way/amount of times to clean/seal a natural stone. The client has seen my work and is happy for me to carry on and price for the job. Obviously if they thought I was bad and turned up working out of a Vauxhall Vectra estate dressed in my joggers I'm sure they wouldnt have entertained me for over an hour discussing their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you an experienced Electrician andy

no, im a experienced tiler, that's why I don't do electrics because im inexperienced ...:smilewinkgrin:

the questions you have asked are the most basic of question, and you should know if taking on a job of this size..

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I understand where your coming from Andy but I don't feel I'm that inexperienced regarding laying a level tile with minimal lippage and using correct adhesives/grouts etc on the correct substrate. The only thing id say I was inexperienced in is the pricing bit and maybe, at first the best way/amount of times to clean/seal a natural stone. The client has seen my work and is happy for me to carry on and price for the job. Obviously if they thought I was bad and turned up working out of a Vauxhall Vectra estate dressed in my joggers I'm sure they wouldnt have entertained me for over an hour discussing their job.

@ High peak tiling got a vectra. looks great....

Last edited:
J

JayJay2324

Riiiight...So whats the reason for this forum existing? Is it not to give advice and suggestions to other tradesmen or Joe public regarding tiling? Or rather mocking and call people inexperienced? I was merely asking how long to wait regarding the drying time of screed because as of so far I have only tiled onto marine ply,backerboard,plaster. The price,fine that's my own business but the question regarding advice on the external wall gaps is just what research I have done myself and wondered what 'experienced' folk thought about it.
Where as you may have 30yrs experience, I'm only 24 and have 5 in the building game.

Why advertise that you do electrical installations when you don't then?

C

charlie1

Jay, I'm guessing at your level of expertise going by your original thread to be limited to kitchen splash backs, small floors and maybe the odd half height bathroom, this is not a criticism just a guess but I could easily be wrong! The job you have described above is a different ball game though! You mention getting tiles lip free and level! It would be interesting to hear your methods on how you would get say a small floor level or flat? And what you would think was most important of the two. Anyway, I'm not here trying to put you down or anything like that but simply advise what your proposing to take on is what I would call an advanced job for the average tiler, there are a few things going against you here, the tiles are to be fitted brick bond and the tiles are rectified ? Yes? So there are two challenges purely from an aesthetic point of view. then you have the other issues that go along with a floor in order to ensure it last for years. Sorry jay, but this is a step too far and I think it may bite you on the bum

G

Gazzer

He doesnt actually say he does electrics just that he can offer the service , probably with other trades

Reply to Newb in need of advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks