Search the forum,

Discuss Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JayJay2324

Riiiight...So whats the reason for this forum existing? Is it not to give advice and suggestions to other tradesmen or Joe public regarding tiling? Or rather mocking and call people inexperienced? I was merely asking how long to wait regarding the drying time of screed because as of so far I have only tiled onto marine ply,backerboard,plaster. The price,fine that's my own business but the question regarding advice on the external wall gaps is just what research I have done myself and wondered what 'experienced' folk thought about it.
Where as you may have 30yrs experience, I'm only 24 and have 5 in the building game.

Why advertise that you do electrical installations when you don't then?

C

charlie1

Jay, I'm guessing at your level of expertise going by your original thread to be limited to kitchen splash backs, small floors and maybe the odd half height bathroom, this is not a criticism just a guess but I could easily be wrong! The job you have described above is a different ball game though! You mention getting tiles lip free and level! It would be interesting to hear your methods on how you would get say a small floor level or flat? And what you would think was most important of the two. Anyway, I'm not here trying to put you down or anything like that but simply advise what your proposing to take on is what I would call an advanced job for the average tiler, there are a few things going against you here, the tiles are to be fitted brick bond and the tiles are rectified ? Yes? So there are two challenges purely from an aesthetic point of view. then you have the other issues that go along with a floor in order to ensure it last for years. Sorry jay, but this is a step too far and I think it may bite you on the bum

G

Gazzer

He doesnt actually say he does electrics just that he can offer the service , probably with other trades

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Riiiight...So whats the reason for this forum existing? Is it not to give advice and suggestions to other tradesmen or Joe public regarding tiling? Or rather mocking and call people inexperienced? I was merely asking how long to wait regarding the drying time of screed because as of so far I have only tiled onto marine ply,backerboard,plaster. The price,fine that's my own business but the question regarding advice on the external wall gaps is just what research I have done myself and wondered what 'experienced' folk thought about it.
Where as you may have 30yrs experience, I'm only 24 and have 5 in the building game.

Why advertise that you do electrical installations when you don't then?

i do full refits but call in my trusted trades as and when needed.....i just prep the walls and floors and tile..

J

JayJay2324

Damn guys...you got me....I'm infact a retired lollipop lady trying to get into the tiling game as i know it can lead to easy street. lol seriously...I cant believe you guys judging me.....how do you post pictures on here?

S

Sean SML Tiling

What type of screed has been laid? Are you using ditra as nothing has been mentioned about using it?

M

Mr Tiler

I understand where your coming from Andy but I don't feel I'm that inexperienced regarding laying a level tile with minimal lippage and using correct adhesives/grouts etc on the correct substrate. The only thing id say I was inexperienced in is the pricing bit and maybe, at first the best way/amount of times to clean/seal a natural stone. The client has seen my work and is happy for me to carry on and price for the job. Obviously if they thought I was bad and turned up working out of a Vauxhall Vectra estate dressed in my joggers I'm sure they wouldnt have entertained me for over an hour discussing their job.
hey hey hey, I wear joggers and strapped kneepads ;-/ and im working out of the back of a Vauxhall corsa. lol

J

JayJay2324

What type of screed has been laid? Are you using ditra as nothing has been mentioned about using it?

As far as I am aware screed is just floated screed on a damp proof membrane and insulation board. and I believe ditra is mainly used for underfloor heating and where there is a need to waterproof, release moisture from a substrate or for substrates with a lot of movement. this is a 400yr old barn with no crack on its current concrete. The tiles are to be layed in a lounge area. Would this still be required?

Reply to Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen