Currently reading:
Newb in need of advice

Discuss Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JayJay2324

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my thread and hopefully you experience gents and ladies if any on here wont mind me picking your brains! :smilewinkgrin:
My names JayJay, I am not a professional tiler but mainly buy and sell houses. Being that the market has been abit bad over the years I ended up starting a small tiling company to help with money as so far it has been fairly good. I enjoy tiling a lot as its a very skill full job to which you can look at a good completed job and think...'i did that'. I like to think I'm pretty handy at but here's the issue.
I have had the opportunity to price a floor tiling job with honed travertine tiles but haven't really had a go before. I'm sure some of you may end up telling me to leave it alone if I'm inexperienced but what's the best way to actually learn? I think its to have a go, as long as you not a complete cabbage I think it should be okay.
I reckon I know most of the theory in laying natural stone but I'm always happy to receive tips and suggestions from you masters out there. o.k I'm gonna stop rambling and give you the low down on this job. Basically I'm not sure what price to give as I would really like to get this job, it could lead to several other jobs which is always good and I have a few questions regarding the tiling. thanks

1) 48m2 floor which is a mix of screed and concrete which I will latex. How long should I wait before latexing onto fresh screed? theory is it dries at 1mm/day but obviously client doesn't want to wait for 4inches to dry.

2) Price for laying light honed and front filled 600x400 travertine floor tiles, 48m2 inc sealing many times and grout etc - brick effect to letex floor and just me
I've read/heard tilers say travertine costs more due to it being very time consuming due to sealing but how much more? I've read guys pricing £20-40/m2?

3) What's the whole reason behind leaving a 6mm joint all the way around any internal stud/external wall edges?? expansion? Won't this look really bad as the client wants to keep existing skirting down but it's mahogony stained? i could try and convince them to remove skirting, tile and leave 6mm joints away from walls and silicone these edges then he can put skirting on top hiding the 6mm gap????

Thanks a million in advance guys...I do have a few more questions but I just want to get these clear for myself first before overloading my noggin! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JayJay2324

I understand where your coming from Andy but I don't feel I'm that inexperienced regarding laying a level tile with minimal lippage and using correct adhesives/grouts etc on the correct substrate. The only thing id say I was inexperienced in is the pricing bit and maybe, at first the best way/amount of times to clean/seal a natural stone. The client has seen my work and is happy for me to carry on and price for the job. Obviously if they thought I was bad and turned up working out of a Vauxhall Vectra estate dressed in my joggers I'm sure they wouldnt have entertained me for over an hour discussing their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

radim

TF
Arms
I understand where your coming from Andy but I don't feel I'm that inexperienced regarding laying a level tile with minimal lippage and using correct adhesives/grouts etc on the correct substrate. The only thing id say I was inexperienced in is the pricing bit and maybe, at first the best way/amount of times to clean/seal a natural stone. The client has seen my work and is happy for me to carry on and price for the job. Obviously if they thought I was bad and turned up working out of a Vauxhall Vectra estate dressed in my joggers I'm sure they wouldnt have entertained me for over an hour discussing their job.

@ High peak tiling got a vectra. looks great....

Last edited:
J

JayJay2324

Riiiight...So whats the reason for this forum existing? Is it not to give advice and suggestions to other tradesmen or Joe public regarding tiling? Or rather mocking and call people inexperienced? I was merely asking how long to wait regarding the drying time of screed because as of so far I have only tiled onto marine ply,backerboard,plaster. The price,fine that's my own business but the question regarding advice on the external wall gaps is just what research I have done myself and wondered what 'experienced' folk thought about it.
Where as you may have 30yrs experience, I'm only 24 and have 5 in the building game.

Why advertise that you do electrical installations when you don't then?

C

charlie1

Jay, I'm guessing at your level of expertise going by your original thread to be limited to kitchen splash backs, small floors and maybe the odd half height bathroom, this is not a criticism just a guess but I could easily be wrong! The job you have described above is a different ball game though! You mention getting tiles lip free and level! It would be interesting to hear your methods on how you would get say a small floor level or flat? And what you would think was most important of the two. Anyway, I'm not here trying to put you down or anything like that but simply advise what your proposing to take on is what I would call an advanced job for the average tiler, there are a few things going against you here, the tiles are to be fitted brick bond and the tiles are rectified ? Yes? So there are two challenges purely from an aesthetic point of view. then you have the other issues that go along with a floor in order to ensure it last for years. Sorry jay, but this is a step too far and I think it may bite you on the bum

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Riiiight...So whats the reason for this forum existing? Is it not to give advice and suggestions to other tradesmen or Joe public regarding tiling? Or rather mocking and call people inexperienced? I was merely asking how long to wait regarding the drying time of screed because as of so far I have only tiled onto marine ply,backerboard,plaster. The price,fine that's my own business but the question regarding advice on the external wall gaps is just what research I have done myself and wondered what 'experienced' folk thought about it.
Where as you may have 30yrs experience, I'm only 24 and have 5 in the building game.

Why advertise that you do electrical installations when you don't then?

i do full refits but call in my trusted trades as and when needed.....i just prep the walls and floors and tile..

M

Mr Tiler

hey hey hey, I wear joggers and strapped kneepads ;-/ and im working out of the back of a Vauxhall corsa. lol

J

JayJay2324

What type of screed has been laid? Are you using ditra as nothing has been mentioned about using it?

As far as I am aware screed is just floated screed on a damp proof membrane and insulation board. and I believe ditra is mainly used for underfloor heating and where there is a need to waterproof, release moisture from a substrate or for substrates with a lot of movement. this is a 400yr old barn with no crack on its current concrete. The tiles are to be layed in a lounge area. Would this still be required?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Damn guys...you got me....I'm infact a retired lollipop lady trying to get into the tiling game as i know it can lead to easy street. lol seriously...I cant believe you guys judging me.....how do you post pictures on here?

Don't bite back jay jay. Persevere, accept the doubting and banter and you will get some good advise here.
Stick in there. Give funny replies, tends to work.

R

Rossymcg

Jay jay, don't take this the wrong way, however you're out of your depth in this job, to many variables and pot hole with natural products, you just ain't experienced enough, you may well get the floor as flat as a mill pond on a summers day but that the simple part, it's the prep and the experience of working with stone that's required, in all honesty ask someone in here to give you a price to do the job for yo put a drink in top for yourself and tag along.
you also seem like a know it all that doesn't want to listen to the advice given, from people who have worked with stone. That advice has been don't do it by yourself

D

diamondtiling

Jay, if your going to attempt a job like that then you must allow for expansion because everything moves, especially in a 400 year old barn with lots of timber in it. Is the floor that bad that you need to latex it? or is it because its not level? You can have a flat floor that is not always level, trying to make it perfectly flat can cause some problems but over that size area you should be ok.

The screed and concrete? is there gaps between these? If so then they will need addressing and a decoupling mat will help minimize any lateral movement. The 6mm perimeter gap? I do 10mm and then fit the skirtings, I think you should persuade the customer that the best finish will be if the skirts are removed.

The prep work here is vital as are the different stages of cleaning and sealing the stone. Travertine tiles should be back skimmed to fill any holes prior to fixing and white flexible tile adhesive used.

Try and post some pictures.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my thread and hopefully you experience gents and ladies if any on here wont mind me picking your brains! :smilewinkgrin:
My names JayJay, I am not a professional tiler but mainly buy and sell houses. Being that the market has been abit bad over the years I ended up starting a small tiling company to help with money as so far it has been fairly good. I enjoy tiling a lot as its a very skill full job to which you can look at a good completed job and think...'i did that'. I like to think I'm pretty handy at but here's the issue.
I have had the opportunity to price a floor tiling job with honed travertine tiles but haven't really had a go before. I'm sure some of you may end up telling me to leave it alone if I'm inexperienced but what's the best way to actually learn? I think its to have a go, as long as you not a complete cabbage I think it should be okay.
I reckon I know most of the theory in laying natural stone but I'm always happy to receive tips and suggestions from you masters out there. o.k I'm gonna stop rambling and give you the low down on this job. Basically I'm not sure what price to give as I would really like to get this job, it could lead to several other jobs which is always good and I have a few questions regarding the tiling. thanks

1) 48m2 floor which is a mix of screed and concrete which I will latex. How long should I wait before latexing onto fresh screed? theory is it dries at 1mm/day but obviously client doesn't want to wait for 4inches to dry.

2) Price for laying light honed and front filled 600x400 travertine floor tiles, 48m2 inc sealing many times and grout etc - brick effect to letex floor and just me
I've read/heard tilers say travertine costs more due to it being very time consuming due to sealing but how much more? I've read guys pricing £20-40/m2?

3) What's the whole reason behind leaving a 6mm joint all the way around any internal stud/external wall edges?? expansion? Won't this look really bad as the client wants to keep existing skirting down but it's mahogony stained? i could try and convince them to remove skirting, tile and leave 6mm joints away from walls and silicone these edges then he can put skirting on top hiding the 6mm gap????

Thanks a million in advance guys...I do have a few more questions but I just want to get these clear for myself first before overloading my noggin! :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

youv'e Got some big "Cojones" on you starting a tiling company not quite knowing how to tile.
But I'm quite happy to give a bit of advice.
48m2 is quite a big area and depending on layout you may need to look at putting expantion strips in approx every 25ft
All stone floors must incorporate provisions for independent movement and having 2 different sub structures makes it even worse.
Concrete expands and contracts at a very different rates to screed and stone tile. I wouldn't attempt that floor without using a uncoupling membrane, As for drying times you really should carry a moisture meter with you if your trading as a tiler. With the weather we have at the moment you would only be guessing on drying times.
These are just a few basic points, not even getting to the types of adhesives and grouts to use to prevent bleed through.

Have a good think about this one mate before you decide what to do.

Reply to Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement