Discuss Mapei Ultracolor plus Grout for porcelain tiles? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi.
Thanks in advance for your help.
We have been let down at the last minute by a tiler and so have had to tile an en-suite ourselves. We have 600x300 porcelain tiles. We are now at the grouting stage and we were going to use mapei, Ultracolor plus silver grey grout, until I saw a professional tiler on YouTube saying that this grout is definitely not for use by a diy person. He says it dries far too fast. He recommends Kerracolor ff
Do you agree? Is this too difficult to use for us?

I have tried to find this Kerracolor grout locally, but no one sells it and it is very rare on the internet (massive postal charges). Can anyone advise what alternative light grey grout we could use instead?

Thanks
Phil

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Hi.
Thanks in advance for your help.
We have been let down at the last minute by a tiler and so have had to tile an en-suite ourselves. We have 600x300 porcelain tiles. We are now at the grouting stage and we were going to use mapei, Ultracolor plus silver grey grout, until I saw a professional tiler on YouTube saying that this grout is definitely not for use by a diy person. He says it dries far too fast. He recommends Kerracolor ff
Do you agree? Is this too difficult to use for us?

I have tried to find this Kerracolor grout locally, but no one sells it and it is very rare on the internet (massive postal charges). Can anyone advise what alternative light grey grout we could use instead?

Thanks
Phil
Mix small amounts at a time, try and make sure every mix is the same ratio of powder to water to ensure no major shade difference. I've only really noticed it dry quicker on basic ceramic and low grade porcelain as these are very absorbent in regards to the water in the mix. Dont use soaked sponges to clean your joints either as this will affect your final drying colour, rinse them out and keep doing so, good luck.

Reaction score
I found the ultra-colour grout to be really good to use. The home renovation guy you watched is from the US so the heat there might have something to do with it.

As Paul says, just mix a small bit and see how you get on. Make sure you use the correct ratios.

Just be careful if the tiles are textured as you'll need to get the timing just right to wash it off, highly gloss tiles are a little more forgiving as they clean up easier.

Reply to Mapei Ultracolor plus Grout for porcelain tiles? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks