Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Look who's got to tile a bathroom soon in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Got a bit of tile to do myself soon.

I won't be back buttering anything.

Porcelain 350x350 on floors and walls and some boxing in and maybe a removable bath panel and some shelving hole things.

Got aquapanel for the floors and shower.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Because on the floor I'll get full coverage without needing to, and I'll check periodically (and it's only about 2.5sqm). And the walls I'll prep. I'm lowering the ceiling and plasterboarding that. Building my boxing with aquapanel. Already fitted a new suite and put ball valves on everything so it can come out or at least be moved to tile behind.

And the tiles are fully vitrified porcelain in dark colours.

And I don't want to use more https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ than I need to. It's an S2 and I don't want shrinkage. Everything will be fresh and flat.

Why would I need to?

W

WetSaw

A skim isn't enough https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to worry about thickness or weight but will fill any indentations in the back of the tile and, more importantly for me, will remove any dust and improve adhesion. For the couple of seconds it takes I really don't see a reason not to.

O

Old Mod

One reason is if the extremely
Surely says if required?

(Just playing COD I haven't clicked the link)
Because of its low absorption rate and that it needs to be burned in to the pores of the porcelain, like I mentioned in my first response in the previous thread.
#justsayin. ;)

O

Old Mod

Alright then that's that done eh. :)
Certainly not digging you mate, honest, but you asked the question, that’s all Dan.
There’s been massive changes within the industry of recent years with more to come, especially centred around ex large thin porcelain.
[automerge]1562521975[/automerge]
You can see it all too plainly on some of the failures we see on here on a weekly basis, you’ll see the indentation of where the tile was just sat on the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, plainly leaving visible print of the back of the tile in the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. It’s not solely the reason obviously, but it goes some way to explain why a floor or wall may of failed.
It’s actually unusual for a failure be accredited to one problem, most failures are an accumulation of several small mistakes.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand mate.

I wont be skimming them though. I'll make sure I check coverage as I've always done. But it's an S2 so it's going to cling to them well I think.

I thank you all for your advice though. As always. :)

I'll post some pics up ASAP. Not sure if I'll get round to it before my hols towards the end of the month but I'll see what spare time I have.

I

Italy

I understand mate.

I wont be skimming them though. I'll make sure I check coverage as I've always done. But it's an S2 so it's going to cling to them well I think.

I thank you all for your advice though. As always. :)

I'll post some pics up ASAP. Not sure if I'll get round to it before my hols towards the end of the month but I'll see what spare time I have.
with a 35x35 the buttering is not mandatory,
over 60cm on the side yes.
except that once I started making the butter,
you do it automatically with all tile sizes,
because you realize that it is better to do it.

Reply to Look who's got to tile a bathroom soon in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock