Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to tackle this straw board wall? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everybody,

so I have finally started with destroying my old bathroom and now I have found this straw wall. I was thinking to tear this down and build new stud wall or to "glue" Tile mate backer board on this straw, which would be the easiest way to do it, but would it be the best way? The black spot in the middle is moulding straw which has been attacked by water penetrating through old tiles. What would you do in my place?

OP
X

xephar

Hi I have the same wall in my bathroom its 2-3 inches thick of compacted straw, 2.5m x 2.3m area, my question is are these as strong as plaster board? will they be ok with Marble tiles?

OP
M

Mike Mike

I would pull it down, but tried to explain my better half:lol:, no chance and other problem is that on the same wall is boiler(where blue doors are) and it would mean I have to call gas bloke and just too much work and pain in the ...:oops: there is not much space either so I will treat it with dry wall https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and then put the hardibacker board on it. Wanted to use tile mate board, but it seems to be too "soft".
What should I use to kill mould?[/QUOTE]

Fire should do it.
And solve your wall problem.#
And your gas man problem.

Yup, fire it. Then get your insurance company to rebuild it properly out of something other than dried grass :hurray:

OP
V

vrytir

Fire should do it.
And solve your wall problem.
And your gas man problem. [/QUOTE]

Yup, fire it. Then get your insurance company to rebuild it properly out of something other than dried grass :hurray:

Even this option got on my mind:yikes: But at the end I just used tilemate board and it looks O.K. Wait when the tiles will start falling down, so keep matches ready:lol:

OP
V

vrytir

Hi I have the same wall in my bathroom its 2-3 inches thick of compacted straw, 2.5m x 2.3m area, my question is are these as strong as plaster board? will they be ok with Marble tiles?
In my opinion they are stronger but are pain it the :oops: Use marmox board or backerboard I have used flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to stick tile mate board on to straw wall and to make sure i use plasterboard screws to screw it as well.

OP
S

SarahAdams

Hello. What was the outcome of this post? We have just started renovating our bathroom and found we have this and it's not in the best condition due to a potential water leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to How to tackle this straw board wall? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock