Discuss How Square Should Tiles Be?? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Just Rizzle

welcome to the past tiles were all like that in the 1980 used to get em straight with a 3mt feather straight edge no spaces just a good eye and a tight string lineand the feather edge

S

StevieBoy

welcome to the past tiles were all like that in the 1980 used to get em straight with a 3mt feather straight edge no spaces just a good eye and a tight string lineand the feather edge
Agreed mate, yep you have to have laser eyes.

R

Robert19306

Thanks for all the help guys it really is much appreciated as my wife loves the tiles so bringing them back is a last resort and the woman who sold them to us is extremely nice lady so I don't want to be going back complaining without good reason. Just as a matter of interest how accurately sized would you expect this size of tile to be? And if the s**t really does hit the fan and they all go back are there any recommended brands that I could look at? I also think I will take my mates advice and send back the Dunlop set fast adhesive for something that will give us a little more time to fiddle with each row.

O

Old Mod

Thanks for all the help guys it really is much appreciated as my wife loves the tiles so bringing them back is a last resort and the woman who sold them to us is extremely nice lady so I don't want to be going back complaining without good reason. Just as a matter of interest how accurately sized would you expect this size of tile to be? And if the s**t really does hit the fan and they all go back are there any recommended brands that I could look at? I also think I will take my mates advice and send back the Dunlop set fast adhesive for something that will give us a little more time to fiddle with each row.
Was the link in post 5 not of any use then?

R

Robert19306

Was the link in post 5 not of any use then?

Yes mate. I did read it and it seems my size problems are very mild compared to some of the acceptable ranges quoted in that thread lol. Think I'm just going to have to get on with it and stop moaning. Just can't stand the thought of having a tile corner slightly out of line and having to look at it forever. Lol

O

Old Mod

But the overall size of your floor is large, u can't dissect to the mm, tbh as a person with limited experience you're expecting the impossible!
So splitting it into manageable bays I think is the best shot you have of giving a good overall effect.
You just don't have the experience to do anything else.
This way u'll achieve the best u possibly can.
As @Dave says maybe 3mm from top of joint is a little tight. Measure 3mm from underside giving u approx 4mm joint at the top.
And unfortunately no matter how many batches u try the sizing of the tiles could be perfectly normal for this tile!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yes mate. I did read it and it seems my size problems are very mild compared to some of the acceptable ranges quoted in that thread lol. Think I'm just going to have to get on with it and stop moaning. Just can't stand the thought of having a tile corner slightly out of line and having to look at it forever. Lol

Once grouted with a suitable grout joint width , itll look fine.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Me and my mate who is a building contractor have just started to tile my new house with some 560x560 polished porcelain tiles and are having a bit of trouble getting things square. I have only a little tiling experience and he has been tiling on and off for about 10 years with his father of 30 years experience sometimes they tile the houses they build and sometimes not but both men are extremely tidy and fussy. Basically our problem is the front edge of the tile measures 560.5 and the back measures 561.5 some 562, so we have tiles that are a bit off the square with a 3 mil grout space so we can have 4 corners meet perfectly but then the next set will not as there's always one corner sticking out too far. We have tried to rectify it with leaving some of the grout joints a minuscule amount larger but neither of us are quite happy with it and as its a large area kitchen/sunroom approx 80m2 it is getting a bit annoying. So far we have only dry laid the tiles in case of exactly this problem and are unsure what to do next. How square would you expect tiles to be? Ps their not paid for yet luckily.

80 mtrs , youll have that tiled and grouted and be home for tea in a day... :)

R

Robert19306

But the overall size of your floor is large, u can't dissect to the mm, tbh as a person with limited experience you're expecting the impossible!
So splitting it into manageable bays I think is the best shot you have of giving a good overall effect.
You just don't have the experience to do anything else.
This way u'll achieve the best u possibly can.
As @Dave says maybe 3mm from top of joint is a little tight. Measure 3mm from underside giving u approx 4mm joint at the top.
And unfortunately no matter how many batches u try the sizing of the tiles could be perfectly normal for this tile!

I think you are onto a winner there 3 fall. I did lay some out today (about 12 tiles) which I was able to get good enough that the experienced guy said he'd be surprised if anyone could find any corners out of place. We had originally planned running one line the whole length of the floor (about 10 meters) but if I do that then this line will be set well before I get the tiles between them and the wall laid to no chance to wriggle them a bit to keep it all nice and uniform. I think your plan of a grid at a time will be advantageous.

O

Old Mod

Just set two main lines perpendicular to themselves as your main datum and work from them. The longest lines possible whether they intersect in the centre or not. It doesn't matter where they intersect.
U can check they're square to each other using
Pythagoras theory of 3, 4 and 5. Whether it be 3 feet 3 metres or 3 miles! :)
The easiest way to keep lines parralell is to make a staff 3 tiles and joints long
and use this to make repeat bays.
Good luck!

W

White Room

Just set two main lines perpendicular to themselves as your main datum and work from them. The longest lines possible whether they intersect in the centre or not. It doesn't matter where they intersect.
U can check they're square to each other using
Pythagoras theory of 3, 4 and 5. Whether it be 3 feet 3 metres or 3 miles! :)
The easiest way to keep lines parralell is to make a staff 3 tiles and joints long
and use this to make repeat bays.
Good luck!

3 miles Marc is a runway:)

Reply to How Square Should Tiles Be?? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks