Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How Square Should Tiles Be?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

R

Robert19306

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Me and my mate who is a building contractor have just started to tile my new house with some 560x560 polished porcelain tiles and are having a bit of trouble getting things square. I have only a little tile experience and he has been tile on and off for about 10 years with his father of 30 years experience sometimes they tile the houses they build and sometimes not but both men are extremely tidy and fussy. Basically our problem is the front edge of the tile measures 560.5 and the back measures 561.5 some 562, so we have tiles that are a bit off the square with a 3 mil grout space so we can have 4 corners meet perfectly but then the next set will not as there's always one corner sticking out too far. We have tried to rectify it with leaving some of the grout joints a minuscule amount larger but neither of us are quite happy with it and as its a large area kitchen/sunroom approx 80m2 it is getting a bit annoying. So far we have only dry laid the tiles in case of exactly this problem and are unsure what to do next. How square would you expect tiles to be? Ps their not paid for yet luckily.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

StevieBoy

Me and my mate who is a building contractor have just started to tile my new house with some 560x560 tiles and are having a bit of trouble getting things square. I have only a little tile experience and he has been tile on and off for about 10 years with his father of 30 years experience sometimes they tile the houses they build and sometimes not but both men are extremely tidy and fussy. Basically our problem is the front edge of the tile measures 560.5 and the back measures 561.5 some 562, so we have tiles that are a bit off the square with a 3 mil grout space so we can have 4 corners meet perfectly but then the next set will not as there's always one corner sticking out too far. We have tried to rectify it with leaving some of the grout joints a minuscule amount larger but neither of us are quite happy with it and as its a large area kitchen/sunroom approx 80m2 it is getting a bit annoying. So far we have only dry laid the tiles in case of exactly this problem and are unsure what to do next. How square would you expect tiles to be? Ps their not paid for yet luckily.

Firstly, are they ceramic tiles?

OP
S

StevieBoy

Basically one end is 1-1.5 MM. wider than the other.

Hmm, it's not uncommon and you can make a decent job with them, just don't use spacers.
Not easy, if your not entirely happy you could always try to get them changed - but the next batch may be as bad.

OP
R

Robert19306

They came from a small local supplier. The brand is I believe halcon but says emotion ceramics on the box. The tile is Kenia marfil. Can be seen at emotionceramics.ca.
So not b and q

OP
O

Old Mod

One way to deal with it is to use a chalk line and grid your floor out.
It's extra work but it'll overcome the problem.
Take the most common size and using chalk line grid out your floor in a chequerboard pattern of 9 tiles. Every 3 rows and columns. Allowing a 3mm joint on the top of the tile. So if they're 560, then grid a line every 1689mm in both directions.
So effectively u start on the left hand line, and finish SHORT on the next line, that's because the next line is the START of the next box. Clear as https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

Forget spacers and just make sure all 9 tiles fit within your box.
As long as your chalk lines are correct u'll end up with an acceptable finish.
As you fill every box, stand back and adjust by eye an even joint.
Otherwise change em.
U won't able to use spacers, the floor will twist.

Reply to How Square Should Tiles Be?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock