Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mp3wizard

Hi All,

I've just had an extension done and I'm wondering how best to tile the room, I am a novice and haven't tiled before, as if that wasn't hard enough, I am also fitting underfloor heating and dealing with 800mm by 800mm floor tiles.

From the attached picture I am looking to tile the red lined areas, I haven’t got any kitchen or bathroom fitted so the floor is completely free for tiling, the only obstacle in my way is the soil pipe in bathroom and a few radiator pipes, I was intending to mark the size of soil pipe on the tile and use an angle grinder to cut the shape out on the tile, would you agree this is the best method? And for the radiators to cut out a square piece and cut the remainder of the small piece of tile to put behind the pipe and use a filler for any gaps?

From the research I have done, a lot of people advise to start from the centre of the room, but because the living room, kitchen, bathroom will all be the same tile and I want it to flow and I wonder if starting from the centre of the living room is really the best idea?

I have been told that it would be a good ideal to use a levelling compound or levelling boards, for the underfloor heating, but It’s a new wood floor fitted with big wooden sheets, which is quite level and underneath that is 100mm in insulation boards, so my plan was to coat the floor in some heatflex which is a primer used to stop heat escape for underfloor heating, then the underfloor heating mats, and then the mapei adhesive recommended for the tile, then the tile and grout as normal.

The tools I’ve got for the job are;

Electric Wet cutter, dry cutter (800mm wide), mixing trowel, 6mm notched trowel, plastic scraper for grout, grout float, 2 mixing buckets, sprit level, 3mm tile spacers, suction grabber, 4 hard sponges, heatflex primer, adhesvies and grout, tape measure, square edge.

I’d appreciate any input as I’d like a good finish and if there are any additional tools that you think I might need.

Thanks a lot.

Mark

ext.jpg

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Indeed, you're right.
But the clips will do the job they've been designed for
Yes but that's the problem. If you don't know how to tile and understand how to get full coverage etc then massive voids can and will be left. Which in turn can cause the ufh to overheat and fail.

M

mp3wizard

The highest point of the room I've choose is by the power cable which is proud, so I've put a packer 1-2 mm higher next to it, so I'm using that as my starting point, the highest difference is about 10mm, so that's quite a bit more than a light covering, I used 11 1/2 bags first time, and I've got exactly 11 1/2 bags now, keeping in mind my initial pour and my proposed pour next time, is it going to be to thick for the mats to produce adequate heat? The only change that I can make to my approach is to not cover the power leads fully and change my starting height which will be 2 hours work wasted. What do you think, keep going as I am?

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement