Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What you should do is glue and screw insulation boards down , lay electric matting , pour self leveler on top, then tile when slc has set .
Id find the center on the bifolds and work your setting out from there, either grout joint in center of glass or full tile spanning the middle door.
Measure your cut to the long wall, cut them all and work from that wall.
Id get standard set adhesive as well

M

mp3wizard

thanks for your input widler, i'm not planning to use insulation boards, i'm planning to lay the electric matting straight onto the wood as you see it above after painting it with a heat resistant primer, without any self levelling, as the surface is flat, I was going to use 3mm spacers inbetween the tiles, but I've seen levelling spacers which look like a better option for me. I'd like the smallest grout line possible but I see most people recommend 3mm as the smallest line, would you agree?

So basically all the cuts should be on the lefthand wall, so you can see full tiles infront of you as you walk in the room, makes sense.

F

Flintstone

Regardless of what good info you read on here, your own ability will probably fall short on a job like this, get some one in and save up if need be, you have to walk on this floor every morning when your having your weetabix

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just imagine years on being unhappy looking at the floor lips everywhere joints all wonky and un even thinking what It could have been id for sure just live with what u have till u can get a professional

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Call me a bit daft in the head if you want , but forums are for help , to help people who need it.
By telling someone the blloody obvious
" get a tiler "
is not helping matters .
If this chap can't afford a tiler , and is a competent diyer he may just be able to pull it off , seeing some of the work put on here he may just get one of the shhit ones anyway ;)
BUT i will say if he does not listen to the advice about how to do the job , then thats his problem, and it would be imo a big problem if he does not lay insulation boards over that timber , or use slc over the wiring o_O

T

Time's Ran Out

@widler - you tried and he didn't listen so surely that's going to say it all!
Your daft ;) for trying to help to this extent , there is no way that the amount of advice he requires can be provided in a few posts but he can search threads to obtain it.
Paint on primer with 2 separate wood substrates?
For me I have to draw a line with how much involvement I'am prepared to give as in this instance its not DIY but a major investment that could go badly.
Just my humble opinion.

M

mp3wizard

I realise that it's not in Tilers interest to say that I can make a decent job of it as ofcourse it's less tiling work for the trade, but I've successfully done some DIY which turned out well, I've changed an alternator on a sports car with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, simply following instructions and pictures from a forum saving me a thousand. So aslong as I don't rush in gun ho and think methodically I believe I can make a decent job of it.

Seems like I shouldn't skimp on the insulation boards especially seeming i'm attempting it myself, i'll order some, thanks Widler.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Call me a bit daft in the head if you want , but forums are for help , to help people who need it.
By telling someone the blloody obvious
" get a tiler "
is not helping matters .
If this chap can't afford a tiler , and is a competent diyer he may just be able to pull it off , seeing some of the work put on here he may just get one of the shhit ones anyway ;)
BUT i will say if he does not listen to the advice about how to do the job , then thats his problem, and it would be imo a big problem if he does not lay insulation boards over that timber , or use slc over the wiring o_O
True,this forum are here for help,but due to difficulty of this job must give him the right direction.
IMO go on heating floor with 800 x 800 is a high risk to damage wires,fit 800 x 800 is hard for an experienced tiler,do it right is another story,so I can't encourage him when I know all this issues.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen