Discuss Help! Kitchen wall tile job done badly - What do I do now? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping someone here can help me. I had kitchen tiles installed on Monday, and I’m really not happy with the finish. The grout lines are uneven, the plug sockets have been put back on crooked (I checked with spirit level to make sure my eyes weren’t tricking me), the tiles don’t line up well. It’s a square grid pattern so any flaws really stick out. Have attached photos so you can see for yourself. It’s a new build so the walls are in good condition, and he didn’t mention any issues with the tiles themselves or the walls (e.g. unevenness or anything like that). I’m also not happy with the clean up (or lack of clean up - there’s grout on the hob, worktop, cupboards) but that feels like a minor issue in comparison.

I’d like some advice from the experts on what to do now - should I ask him to come back and rectify, or just cut my losses and find someone else? He didn’t take payment on the day, but has messaged me bank details and I’m reluctant to hand over my money until I’m sure what to do next.

Attachments

• B0765E7A-CAA6-4363-AA62-81881A8FFD3E.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 83
  • 2C0ECC56-5D2D-4976-92ED-620F159C8D39.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 348A65C7-8BFD-4A90-9A1C-FE4E76435B5F.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 34A8DCFB-D7BE-497E-A81E-77FE5BB89082.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Not yet - My partner had a big birthday yesterday so I didn't want to spend the day getting into it with a tiler when we were trying to have a good day! But I'm planning on contacting the tiler this morning as he messaged me last night about payment. I guess I'm trying to balance up whether it's worth it to give him a chance to rectify, but then he could potentially make things worse? I'm so upset, I feel our beautiful kitchen has been ruined.

Reaction score
Trying to weigh up whether I should give him a chance to rectify his work, or whether he could potentially make things worse second time around?

Reaction score
I can't see how he can rectify it without taking them all off and starting again but you have to ask if he is capable of it. Obviously the black grout makes the problem more obvious. The only reason I can think of is that the tiles were not uniform in size but in that case, he should have stopped and advised you. The sockets can be straightened. Whatever happens, it is just the tiling that is ruined, not the whole kitchen. Good luck.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
I agree with the comments above. Unfortunately I see no point letting them try to rectify it as if they were capable of doing it properly they would have done so in the first place.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback, this is really helpful. I’ve contacted him with photos and he didn’t contest the bad work for a second. He’s coming back tomorrow to fix. I understand that under consumer law, I need to give him the opportunity to rectify his work before doing anything else, so I’ll see how we get on but I’m not overly optimistic to be honest. Will update here afterwards.

JASON

TF
Reaction score
Where they individual tiles or did they come in matts. Makes no odds as it’s a horrible job just curious to no as matts can be a pain.

Reaction score
Where they individual tiles or did they come in matts. Makes no odds as it’s a horrible job just curious to no as matts can be a pain.
Individual tiles. They looked evenly cut, uniform in size etc as well (at least to my untrained eye). They’re pretty bog standard Matt white tiles.

Reaction score
Yeah, look like 100x100 satin whites. The only way that’s being rectified is if the lot comes off… batch size issues or not, that is poor workmanship.

Reply to Help! Kitchen wall tile job done badly - What do I do now? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks