Search the forum,

Discuss Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

yes it has puzzled me to. The reason he used it as we were already in dispute with them about the fact they left the tiles unsealed for over a week and the tiles had started to get stains in them.

Then one weekend we got home and they had put this stuff on them and the grey grout had gone black!

So you dont think Im in the wrong for using that type of bathroom cleaner on them then?

Mmmmmm .. i am inclined to think maybe they have used shoe polish to hide the marks on the tiles before they were sealed....

I think you need to get onto B&Q then...

will you keep us informed please as to how this goes..?

C

Cdh299

Thanks Ajax. The Dettol sais not for use on stone surfaces or marble but nothing about porcelain

However I still cant see why it would strip off the colour on the tiles if the tiles had been treated properly

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If Dave is right and they have used shoe polish the dettol would take that off quite easily. Without knowing what the black stuff is though it is impossible to say for sure. I think B&Q is possibly your first port of call as you say.

C

Cdh299

Will definetly keep you informed Dave!

Do you know if they will easily be able to scrape out the grey grout that had stained black and re grout it?

I cant see how they will be able to do that without damaging the edges of the porcelain tiles?

Sounds like they might have to rip the whole lot out and start again anyway?

C

Cdh299

if this wasnt so worrying i would laugh right now @ Shoe polish! LOL is that a well known 'cowboy tiler' trick?

D

DHTiling

I have seen alsorts used to hide scratches...stains etc...it was just a thought i had that maybe shoe polish might have been used to hide the stains...seen as the joints had gone black as well...and then they buffed it off and applied the sealer and then it smeared...??????

All just summising really because we don't know what he used..but deffo needs looking at.

C

Cdh299

Can i just say that you guys rock! So helpful. There are good people in this world! :hurray:

C

Cdh299

out of interest Dave, if we decide to get our money back and get our own tiler in, can you recommend anyone in the St Albans area?

D

DHTiling

I will able to sort that for you....let us know how it goes first and then we will sort a tiler if needed.

T

Terry Cottar

From your description it sounds to me as though there was either a grout haze or wax left on the tiles and they have tried to cover it

tel

Reply to Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen