Search the forum,

Discuss Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Dettol Bathroom Cleaner contains the following amongst other ingredients: Nonionic Surfactant, Disinfectant, Perfume. Also contains Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal and Limonene.

Not sure it is sutaible for waxed or polish treated surfaces but other hard washables should be ok.

Is porcelaine coated like travertine?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Long time since I did my Chemistry but can't see anything in the cleaner which will dissolve anything in the MPG sealer in its dry state - perhaps it is some sort of bleaching effect. It would probably disperse the Naptha compounds if scrubbed but these appear to be the evaporant solvent carriers in the product (hence the need for ventillation or you get a headache).

C

Cdh299

ok will find out. we are already in dispute with them about it as it stained the grey grouting black! I was trying to get off the awful smears that they had left on the tiles. (The job has only been finished a week)

i asked him what the black stuff was so i could get some in case we needed to do more tiling in the future with the porcelain and he was a bit cagey. Said he got it off a mate and it was a deep impregnator but didnt know what it was called.

:(

If i bough a colour enhancer perhaps that would work?

C

Cdh299

yes it has puzzled me to. The reason he used it as we were already in dispute with them about the fact they left the tiles unsealed for over a week and the tiles had started to get stains in them.

Then one weekend we got home and they had put this stuff on them and the grey grout had gone black!

So you dont think Im in the wrong for using that type of bathroom cleaner on them then?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If he has left smears on , then he has not buffed off any excess sealer.....i am really unsure about this black stuff...i have never heard of such a product and why use 2 sealers if thats the case.? they will react..

I think you should really clean those tiles back to original and seal again...

I agree with Dave on this one - I think it may be a case of stripping back and re sealing.

Had a look at the data sheets for the MPG again and also the instructions - there is nothing there that I can put my finger on as being a potential issue. I too am unsure of the "black stuff" though. If it is a bleaching effect I cannot see how you will get away with anything other than stripping of the existing sealer and replacing it because as soon as you spray another area of tiles the same thing will happen. I suppose there is an outside possibility that the sealer is not yet fully dried. It does say 3 days before cleaning on the instrctions and this is only a week old. As I said outside chance and possibly complete red herring.

Most general purpose domestic household cleaners tend to be based on similar formulations although they do contain different specific ingredients. I know My wife uses a Dettol one in our bathrooms and I am unaware of any issues other than it takes the gold plating off the taps. (the one she bought said don't use it on gold plate - my fault - did not read the instructions - typical bloke)

D

DHTiling

yes it has puzzled me to. The reason he used it as we were already in dispute with them about the fact they left the tiles unsealed for over a week and the tiles had started to get stains in them.

Then one weekend we got home and they had put this stuff on them and the grey grout had gone black!

So you dont think Im in the wrong for using that type of bathroom cleaner on them then?

Mmmmmm .. i am inclined to think maybe they have used shoe polish to hide the marks on the tiles before they were sealed....

I think you need to get onto B&Q then...

will you keep us informed please as to how this goes..?

Reply to Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.